Monday, August 16, 2010

For the Alliance! or: Why I'm proud to play the pretty faction

Allow me a bit of catharsis in today's post. The comments on Thursday's WoW.com breakfast topic about the possibility of cooperation between the two factions brought up many memories of being ridiculed by my "friends" for being an Alliance player, and even if the animosity I feel towards those who seem to have animosity towards me is unreasonable, it's time I finally get those thoughts all down on paper... er, cyberpaper, so I can finally let the topic go.

I play Alliance. Why do I play Alliance? Because Druids can only be two races: Night Elves, and Tauren. I use Shadowmeld more than I would use War Stomp. As a tank who has always liked taking less damage more than being able to take more damage before dying, I like Quickness more than I like Endurance. And while Cultivation would only prove beneficial to me while I was still leveling up herbalism, I'm never going to stop dying, so Wisp Spirit will always be useful. Thus I rolled a Night Elf, and now that all of my wealth is on the Alliance side, all of my alts are Alliance, too.

That's all there is too it: I like the Alliance racials more (Heroic Presence, Gift of the Naruu, Expansive Mind, Diplomacy, and Every Man for Himself speak for themselves), and I find the races and the architecture more pleasant to look at. And for some reason, making this choice has opened me to supposedly fully-excusable ridicule from those who choose to play as Horde characters. All because of some self-serving misconception Horde players have about Alliance players. What misconception, you might ask? The idea that the Alliance is full of little kids, trolls, and noobs, while the Horde is for the real players. I give no credit to this idea, for while I can't speak from personal experience, all of the people I have talked to who play both sides say that the two factions really aren't that different. Both have their jerks, both have their serious players, and at the end of the day, noobs will be noobs, whether they fly the Horde's banner or the Alliance's. It's also notable that all of the reports on wowjackass.com for my realm are about Horde players, which doesn't exactly make me eager to faction change for the community.

Besides this false idea of the relative qualities of the communities, there's also the idea that, because the Alliance are the "good guys" and Horde are the underdogs, somehow, everyone who plays Alliance does so because they believe they are the good guys, and that makes them acceptable targets. Considering the events that have transpired during Wrath of the Lich King and the events that are set to transpire during Cataclysm, the Horde are quickly losing their underdog label and gaining the "just plain evil" label, making it much harder to be sympathetic towards them as a faction. But for the longest time, the two factions were approximately equal in terms of the potential for player sympathy for them. The Alliance was hardly a spotless group, and the Horde really were just underdogs.

But while those new to the game may have easily mistaken the Alliance for good guys and the Horde for bad guys, there is one undeniable fact that favors the Horde; when the game was first released, the Horde races was much more badass than the Alliance races. So while it's easy to make fun of people who picked the Alliance because they thought they were the good guys, it's just as easy to make fun of people who picked the Horde because the Horde races were more badass, and I would imagine there were many players who did that. Both reasons are equally inane as reasons to dislike the other faction, so the idea that the Alliance are the good guys, and thus Alliance players are acceptable targets, is hardly a convincing point.

However, what really irks me about the Horde vs. Alliance mentality is something that WoW.com commenter Ophelia captured quite when when he/she wrote in a comment on that breakfast topic I mentioned before:

Ouch. The replies to this post make me want to bury my head in the sand for playing Horde. Seriously, guys? :|

"I think we should get along. I have no dislike for you :3"

"WE R TEH WHOOREDD~~!!111ONE ALLIANCE PANZZYYY~~!!"

Oi [sic] vey.


Oy vey, indeed. Somehow, the unique combination of elements within World of Warcraft has created an Alliance community that has little animosity for the Horde community and a Horde community that looks down on the Alliance community with the utmost condescension and ridicule. (If you are a Horde player who has no such thoughts about Alliance players, please don't comment just to say that you don't hate the Alliance; I know that many Horde players, possibly most, don't hold this kind of animosity. Unfortunately, the most vocal members of your community do, as does every single Horde player I have ever met in real life.) And somehow, in this community where the Horde freely disses the Alliance while the Alliance does not provoke the Horde, the Horde still views themselves as the underdogs, the ones who made the less popular choice, which is why they feel justified in having this attitude.

With all due respect, Horde players, give me a break. When was the last time an Alliance player ever showed the kind of disrespect or flat out aggression towards a Horde player that Horde players show to us on a regular basis? I have never seen a single bit of animosity towards players who choose to play as the Horde, and the only time I ever heard Alliance players mention the Horde is to say either, "They keep beating us at [X battleground]," or "I've been thinking of transferring to the Horde." We Alliance players view the Horde as just another group of players, albeit one we cannot communicate with in-game, while the Horde seems to dislike us and somehow perceive themselves as the downtrodden ones. Maybe that's why this issue is so irksome for me; the Alliance-hating Horde players seem to think that we somehow deserve their hatred, and yet we have done nothing to deserve it.

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that the Horde has much more pride in itself than the Alliance; the same conditions that would lead to a dislike of the Alliance would natural lead to the creation of faction pride on the part of the Horde, so it's not a jump to say that the lack of animosity towards the Horde on the part of the Alliance and the lack of faction pride on the part of the Alliance would go hand in hand. However, in the face of all of the negative reactions I get when I proclaim that I play the Alliance, I am beginning to develop a bit of Alliance pride. Now, it's not the fact that I chose to play Alliance that I am proud of. My Alliance pride is the same kind of pride that a woman develops when she is told she is of the inferior gender, or an African American develops when he/she is told he/she is of an inferior race, or a gay man or lesbian develops when he/she is told that he/she has an inferior sexuality. The pride I am developing is not pride in the fact that I chose to play as an Alliance race; it is pride in the fact that, though I am told constantly that my choice was the inferior one, I am at peace with my choice. I am not proud to be an Alliance player; I am proud to be at peace with my choice in spite of the overwhelming pressure to regret it.

7 comments:

  1. Nicely put. I never understood this "hatred" without reason, especially since, like you, I was told by friends that Horde-side is just as good (or bad). I generally don't give it much thought - if you're joking about "For the Horde", I'm glad you're having fun; if you're serious when bashing me, you're too dumb to be worth the trouble. Luckily most of my friends play Alliance, so I haven't had many arguments about this.

    Oh, and I chose Alliance for the pretty. 2 races I love plus 2 I can stand, versus 1 race I love plus 2 I can stand... Alliance wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who plays horde I can tell you why I personally don't love Alliance (as a community, not really on an individual basis). Well, I suppose I should give some background: I do have characters of both factions, I don't think I should effectively banish myself from half of the gameplay experience, after all. I played alliance from vanilla until near the end of BC, so a few years I'd say. I guess on my server horde really dislike Alliance because of the advantages experienced on that side. On my server, Alliance outnumber the horde an incredible amount. They have the most progressed guilds, more pvpers, and win at free-range activities (usually) due to sheer numbers.

    My guild runs into these problems recruiting for raids: horde-side we are the most progressed by far. Alliance has anywhere from 1-3 guilds more progressed than our guild, depending on how quickly we compete for certain boss kills. Our recruitment pool is so tiny; the idea that people want to be "#1 top" is similar between factions, but when you have one faction with 10 applications to the top guild and the other faction with 50 applications to their top guild, it's easy to see why the more populated faction's guild(s) can pick and choose more often than not.

    I suppose I also enjoy pvp because I enjoy the idea of opposite factions. That isn't to say that I will blindly want to attack anyone on the opposite faction, it's more that my appreciation and respect earned by certain individuals I have befriended on that side are relatively worth more if not everyone is afforded the same in-game "safety" if you know what I mean ;) I mean really. It is the world of WARcraft after all :D and warring with NPCs that get bored of fighting you after you walk 10 feet from their post is a bit.. underwhelming at times.

    Oh, and I assure you, there is no shortage of horde-hating alliance on my server. I don't mean the kind of people that go "that horde attacked me for no reason! That was mean". More like the kind of people who name their mains Hatethehorde and walk around with a macro containing as many lines of /spit as possible... I'm pretty sure there's at least 10 Alliance on my server with one of those on their main actionbar :P I don't know a single horde with one. Probably because I can count the number of horde who enjoy frequent pvp on one hand, in other words about 20% of all horde on the server. /facepalm

    When I'd play Wintergrasp on my alliance characters, they would trash talk and make fun of horde for losing when the normal balance of players is 2 full raids (up to 80 players) on alliance versus anywhere from 20-30 horde players (this is a usual ratio). Generally after horde finish a game (win or lose) it's usually some emo "Finally! horde never win" or "we won't win again this week....".



    Wall of text aside, as much as I love being Horde, I'm not really hostile toward the other faction. I guess servers are really different; I felt a lot more welcomed, respected, and etc. on horde than I did on alliance, although I personally attribute that to the "I'm just a number" situation on alliance compared to the small community on horde. Usually on horde if you're nice, everyone knows you're nice. If you're a a-hole to your fellow hordies, people will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poptart, on the server I play horde on the alliance are lucky if they get 20 out to Wintergrasp, and typically has at least 2 full raid groups. A lot of times people in chat are talking about how great horde is and how much alliance sucks.

    I generally chime in with the fact that we win consistently because of numbers. I once had someone whisper me and argue that tenacity more than makes up for the difference in numbers...

    There really is not a difference between the two factions that I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never understood how much hatred people who play Horde seem to have for the Alliance. Last night I was at a pub with a bunch of local WoW players, most of whom play Horde. All of them had an "omg! I hate the Alliance! I just want to kill them when I see them" attitude. I really don't understand. Perhaps it's because I don't like PVP so the faction conflict isn't of much interest to me. I rarely ever see Alliance with a giant hate-on for the Horde.

    I play both Alliance and Horde. I really don't see a difference between the two. Both factions have their share of asshats and bad players. Both factions also have a lot of great players and good people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post suffers from generalizations on a couple levels. It terms of a logical rebuttal, one's personal experience in playing Alliance has little empirical weight in countering how the other faction believes it is perceived. If Horde players feel that Alliance feel themselves morally superior, it's irrelevant that you have not experienced this. These sorts of group biases are often driven by the actions of a few who stand out rather than being based on an objective assessment of inter-faction relations. Generalizing specific actions also happens for Horde players who have a bad interaction with Alliance, latch on to that and disregard that they have more frequent positive or neutral interactions. One bad apple spoils the bunch when it comes to perception. That memory of the bad interaction carries far more emotional weight than a non-event which represents positive social relations; no wonder that when one thinks back on how the other faction has treated me, that the bad memories come to mind.

    The other level at which generalization spoils the rant is that you are taking the perspecitve of a vocal few Horde who do hate the Alliance and invent reasons to bash them, and assuming that this is the general attitude of most. When targeted by somebody with a grudge, you assume this attitude is shared by all in the faction, which turns this into a faction-based issue when it is more properly a personal issue that calls on faction pride for support. Some on both sides do heed this call for faction solidarity, which fans the flames of inter-faction rivalry, but the source of the conflict is more productively located at an individual level.

    As a counterpoint to your personal experiences, my impression on my server is that Alliance gank me as Horde much more often than the other way around, and this despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that Horde outnumber Alliance significantly. I have also personally heard Alliance members talk about how they hate Horde and how they intend to kill on sight. It goes both ways.

    Nick Yee has some interesting results on motivations for playing and there is apparently some difference when it comes to faction choice. Overall, people who play Horde tend to be more competitive and more concerned with advancement and game mechanics. They value different outcomes than people who play Alliance. http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001366.php . That surely has an expression in faction animosity and to my mind it explains a lot about why there is a strong competitive message from some vocal Horde players that is not matched in intensity or volume from the Alliance.

    Blizzard has done a good job in setting the factions against each other while removing the means for mediating disputes in-game. Good luck in weathering the tempest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: I can't rebut your claim that my post suffers from generalizations, and I won't try to defend it, because it wasn't meant to hold up as a logical argument; it was a personal account of my own opinions and their origins (hence the "opinion" tag on the bottom).

    "Good luck in weathering the tempest."

    That tempest is the exact reason why I play on a PvE server.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for subjects like this, all we can truly do is make generalizations and provide anecdotal evidence. But I think you touched on something that is in no small way a good reason why the Horde has such a vocal and cohesive community.

    "My Alliance pride is the same kind of pride that a woman develops when she is told she is of the inferior gender, or an African American develops when he/she is told he/she is of an inferior race, or a gay man or lesbian develops when he/she is told that he/she has an inferior sexuality."

    Where the Horde is obviously no longer the "underdog", they were when the game launched. This cohesive faction pride didn't just spring up out of nowhere. It's been around since day one.

    I prefer the Horde to the Alliance for a lot of reasons, most of which are purely aesthetic. But when it comes right down to it, I've always enjoyed the company of Horde players to Alliance.

    Of my many friends, and the hand full or so that play WoW I get along with the Horde players better. We have more similar interests and tastes. Our sense of humor, loves, hates, and other hobbies are all more similar than those shared with other friends.

    Being frank, and for that matter anecdotal, the people that I know who play Alliance are generally less interesting people. I don't judge them for this, it just doesn't make me enjoy their company as much.

    What I can tell you is this has a long history in my real life, just as Horde pride does in game. Some of myy closest friends today, were my closest friends in high school. We were all band nerds, musicians, skaters, drama people and the fringe types.

    Yeah, we were the losers skipping school, smoking cigarettes, and making fun of jocks, preps and rednecks.

    We've grown up since then, moving on to start families, start businesses or earn our PhD's. But one thing has stayed with us, and that is the bond we developed as the outcasts.

    Moving closer to the subject matter at hand I'd like to close with the following consideration also.

    It may be a gross generalization to believe that Horde players tend to be more creative, but there truly are stronger artistic communities in the realm of Warcraft fandom, and the very provable fact that the Horde is number one in progression and PvP.

    And that's all true despite the fact that not even the Undead have such a powerful racial ability as Everyman For Himself.

    Wait, everyman for himself... Is that why I dislike the Alliance about as much as I do Ayn Rand? Is that why they lack faction pride?

    Anyway, Ardol, I just found your site and I've enjoyed the few blogs I've read so far. Keep them coming. You dirty Alliance you.

    Sincerely,
    oldirtycaster

    a.k.a Luke on Wow.com

    ReplyDelete