Monday, September 20, 2010

The absurdity of feat-of-strength panic

When I realized just how soon patch 4.0.1 was coming, I was hit by this ambiguous sense of panic I had never felt before about the onset of a patch. I'm sure others are familiar with it, though: the sense of urgency, the idea that we need to do whatever we can in what little time we have been given before it isn't available to us anymore. Leveling weapon skills, for example; once Cataclysm comes around, weapon skill will no longer factor into the game; they'll be gone completely. We'll start with our characters knowing all of the proficiencies for weapons they can use, and we won't have to go through the arduous process of level up a skill we have neglected. Of course, this means that Master of Arms and Did Somebody Order a Knuckle Sandwich? are going to become feats of strength. Things like that, the idea that certain aspects of the game won't be available to me anymore, set me into a panic as I wondered, should I level my weapon skills to try to earn those achievements before they go the way of the dodo?

As you may be able to tell by the title, I decided against it. I realized that this kind of panic was only brought on by the fact that these achievements aren't going to be available, and that fact was causing me to misjudge whether I should do them. After all, if I got any enjoyment out of leveling weapon skills as anything other than a way to pass time*, I would have gotten those achievements by now, wouldn't I? The fact is that I just don't think that leveling weapon skill is all that fun, especially when I know that, as a druid, weapon skill is completely irrelevant to my playing. Quite simply, I had no good reason to level my weapon skill, and the fact that these achievements weren't going to be available was the only thing making me consider doing them. I suppose this gave me a first-hand lesson in what Saniel was talking about when he commented on my post about reverse feats of strength by saying, "No one likes being told that there's parts of the game they'll have no way of ever accessing." I found out that I myself was not immune to this kind of thought.

I suppose the take-home message from this whole experience is that if your only reason for wanting to do something is because it's not going to be possible to do later, it's best to ask yourself whether you really want to do it before you commit a substantial amount of time to it. I suppose this advice could be applied to other areas of the game as well, such as content that will be available later, but that you want to do while it's still relevant. A friend of mine, who just downed the Lich King, seemed to be suffering from this kind of delusional motivation. He was burnt out from raiding, to the point where he feared logging in each night to try to kill Arthas again. He complained to me about how he just didn't enjoy the game anymore, and once he killed the Lich King, he was going to quit. Non-raider that I am, I couldn't help but wonder, is it really worth it? Is it really worth it to play the game long after it has ceased to be enjoyable for you, just so you can kill a raid boss while he still matters? Are the bragging rights and the satisfaction really worth the unnecessary misery?

I ask because, at the end of the day, the Lich King is just another boss. He may be the most difficult boss now, but new expansions will come out with even harder bosses, and defeating the Lich King won't seem so impressive then. I'm sure the same could be said about the weapon skill achievements: we may be able to smile when we see them in our feats of strength panel immediately after Cataclysm comes out, but soon they'll be just another box in our achievement panel, giving no more satisfaction than anything else in there, if any at all. So really, when we decide to go for these achievements, whether we be motivated because they are going to become feats of strength or because they are going to become trivial, the real question is, is it enjoyable? Because if it isn't, then we have only ourselves to blame for not enjoying the game.

*One example of a way to level weapon skills to pass time is to attack the enemies in Violet Hold for weapon skill before starting the instance. Before patch 3.3, when we got the ability to teleport into the instance through the dungeon finder, I spent a lot of time waiting for people to get there, so I'd just attack the enemies with my weapon to level up my skill.

7 comments:

  1. It's funny - the past two weeks have seen me farming Timbermaw, Cenarion Circle, and Wintersaber Trainers rep, unsure of how they're going to be changed in the upcoming expansion. Heck, I went and got Zandalar up to Exalted, just because I hadn't heard what would be done.

    You make a really good point though - if it's not enjoyable, why go for those achievements?

    Also, good point on the leveling with Violet Hold mobs! I may have to get the last 20 points or so of Unarmed I haven't done yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are eggs out in shaolazar basin, the middle of the northern area (it's all trees are on fire, red proto-drakes are walkin around).
    these things are perfect for leveling any skill on, they don't fight back, when they break, you just move onto the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's also a mob in the blasted lands, lady sevine or something like that - she gets down to 1 hp and cannot be killed without a quest item. The annoying thing is that she summons adds - they can be killed, but they are annoying.

    The only thing I did to have it done was to try to get the tiger mount from ZG - took 20 minutes to kill the boss on my pally - the silences are brutal to be able to interrupt the heals and/or max dps to make sure they die within 10 seconds. Good news though, got it on first try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people that are concerned with maxing out their potential achievement points wouldn't want to pass up on Knuckle sandwich, for instance. If you're sitting at 8990 achievement points, and you need 10 more to get ITS OVER 9000!!!, and you have three viable achievements to do right now.

    -Knuckle Sandwich (256/450)
    -100000 kills (56,433/100000)
    -Oh My, Kurenai (843/12000, Revered)

    Which would you make a priority? :)

    Just a different view on what another possible motivator people may have to get these done.

    RagingDaddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting Knuckle Sandwich to break 9k is a bit problematic. When the patch comes, you'll lose those points. If you can break 9k before the patch then you'll hold onto the achievement, but if you don't that time is wasted.

    Obviously Knuckle Sandwich was a relatively easy 10 points to get a year ago, but if you 110 points away right now then you may not be getting to 9k before the patch, which will be coming a couple of weeks, most likely. You might be better off devoting your time to more permanent points.

    Of course 100k kills would be one of the last things on my list considering the immense time required (and given that at 56k you probably already have many of the PvP achievements), but Kurenai is a very worthwhile investment for achievement seekers since it is also worth a whopping 8 mounts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finishing up your weapon skills shouldn't take too long, if you whack away at the guy that Mysterious Buttons pointed out here: http://www.mysteriousbuttons.com/2010/07/fisticuffs/ and stack about 600 Int (just grab some Intellect greens off the AH), you can level your weapons/fists up from 1-400 in anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. :D

    But as for the greater ramifications discussed here, very true. Why do something you have no love for? I suppose the only thing I can say to it, is why do we do it in real life? I don't know how many times I've seen people do something that they don't want to in real life because of silly movie-cliche reasons like they "felt that had to" or "had to see this to the end".

    There's something built into us that if we devote X amount of time into something, by golly, we wanna see it done, regardless of how much we enjoy it anymore. It's completely illogical, unpractical and yet an everyday occurrence. To quote the sentiment of dozens of Sci Fi authors, "it must be a human thing" :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vrykerion: I believe that something is a manifestation of the "Sunk Cost Fallacy", which basically states that we put effort and resources into futile causes we have already put effort and resources into because we don't want to "waste" that effort and those resources already invested, even though it would be less costly, time- and resource-wise, to just move on. It's one of the many fallacies that make the human mind such a wonder to traverse. As one of my favorite blogs so frequently points out, though there are plenty of things we do that are completely illogical and unpractical, it really is part of what makes us human.

    ReplyDelete