Friday, July 23, 2010

Guild perks and the death of the independent player

I wasn't against the idea of guild perks when they were first announced. Back then, I was under the impression that they would only improve content that was actually done in a guild, like raids and rated battlegrounds, and only have effects that solo players wouldn't feel the lack of. Once the guild perks were announced, some of them did fit this mold, including Cash Flow, which deposits money equal to 10% of money you loot from enemy corpses into your guild bank, and Guild Mail, which makes in-game mail sent between guild members arrive instantly. However, the potency and scope of some of these bonuses blew me away. A few highlights:

-Reinforce (Rank 2): Items take 10% less durability loss when you die.
-Hasty Hearth: Reduces the cooldown on your Hearthstone by 15 minutes.
-Working Overtime: Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 10%.
-Everyone's A Hero (Rank 2): Increases Heroism points gained by 10%.
-Honorable Mention (Rank 2): Increases Honor points gained by 10%.
-Bartering (Rank 2): Reduces the price of items from all vendors by 10%.
-Bountiful Bags: Increases the quantity of materials gained from Mining, Skinning, Herbalism, and Disenchanting by 15%.


My initial idea of guild perks as something that would only benefit group content done with a guild was blown out of the water. These bonuses are not only applicable to content done outside of a guild (solo-ing and PUG'ing), but they are greatly helpful in that content as well. Which is why I am now wary of them.

You see, I am a guild-less player. All of my characters are guildless, main and alts, and before these perks were announced, I saw no reason to change that. For one thing, my playing is quite inconsistent. I've been known to not play at all for a week or two, then jump back in to WoW as if I had never stopped. The fact that I also don't enjoy raiding gives me little reason to want to join a guild, and guilds little reason to want me to join. All of the content that encompasses the majority of my playtime (solo-ing and heroics) can either be done alone or PUG'ed, so when my last guild kicked me for inactivity (another one of my breaks combined with me not signing up for the raids anymore), I let it go and didn't bother to look for a new one. Of course, now I'll have to look for a guild. I'd have to be mad to be willing to pass up on those bonuses up there. 15% more herbs and enchanting mats? 10% more heroism points? 50% reduction on the cooldown of my hearthstone? How could I pass those up?

Now, I could go on about how this change is another way WoW is shafting solo players, but solo-ers likely don't have any inherent hesitation about joining a guild for these bonuses. No, the inclusion of these guild perks instead targets another group of players, and makes that group into second-class citizens: the lone wolves, the independent players, the players whose alliances last only as long as the dungeon or quest they are PUG'ing (as well as those who roleplay as that type). We may be rare, but we exist, for all of the reasons I mentioned above: some of us don't play consistently enough to be worthy of membership in a guild, and some of us just don't run content that requires or is improved by membership in a guild.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know exactly why Blizzard is implementing these bonuses, and its a goal that I support. They want membership in a guild to be more meaningful, to prevent people from guild-hopping when they don't like a guild for petty reasons, and also, I suppose, as a way of rewarding guild longevity. Now, if these bonuses were limited to bonuses that would be helpful during group content, I would support them whole-heartedly, and they would still accomplish the above-stated goal. However, with the bonuses coming out as stated above, I have to wonder: does Blizzard want all players to be a guild, regardless of personal reasons for not joining one? It seems an unlikely possibility, but the direction some of these bonuses have taken leads me to no other conclusion.

My best guess is that Blizzard wants players in guilds because a guilded player is less likely to stop playing. After all, what's to stop a guildless player, like me, from canceling his/her account when he/she (alright, from now on, male pronouns will be used to refer to both genders collectively) gets bored or frustrated with the current content, then starting it again when Cataclysm or the next patch comes out? Nothing. However, if that player is in a guild, that provides many compelling reasons for him to keep playing. If that guild is a raiding guild, he risks losing his spot, or just letting his guild down, if he stops playing. If that guild is just a social guild, that socializing could be what keeps him playing, and thus paying. As I said in my post on WoW's addictive elements, Blizzard has a vested interest in keeping us playing as they develop new content, which is part of the reason they make the game so addictive in the first place. Perhaps keeping players in guilds is part of that goal as well; to keep up playing, even when the game is boring.

I know, I know, another one of my conspiracy theories. To placate those who will inevitably call it such, I'll admit that they might just be implementing these because they want players to experience the joys of being in a guild, and some might need a little encouragement to do so, but if the joys of being in a guild aren't enough motivation for players to join and stay in one, then players shouldn't be coerced into being a part of something that isn't rewarding for them.

17 comments:

  1. I agree with you on so many points with this issue. I have a similar style of play as you. I am a soloist who does not enjoy raiding. Now I need to join a guild just to be on a level playing field as most of the WoW community.

    An example of something that bothers be, is at first glance this system seems create an unfair advantage with economy. People in raiding guilds having the perk of easier/faster access to gold and improved professions that will earn them gold at a faster rate.

    Guess, it's time to start looking for a casual, non-raiding guild with a mature player base...do these exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They exist and will probably exist more on the future as more time restrained and unreliable players will want these perks. The issue I'm afraid of, and what we'll need to see about is how difficult it is and how much time it takes for a guild to earn these bonuses. One or two of the biggest and most advanced guilds taking nearly all the raid worthy playerbase is already an issue... once a guild starts getting 15% mat bonuses etc its going to be even more difficult for smaller guilds to retain players or recruit new ones if it takes too long or is too difficult to earn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I like solo play, I can't really see any MMO company devoting even close to equal resources to that style of play. It is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, after all.

    I guess my apathy to this situation comes from the fact that there are guilds for all sorts of people - casual guilds, raiding guilds (weekend, weekday, all days...), PvP guilds, hell, there's even guilds for people who like to level tradeskills or alts. The list goes on. Being guilded can be a rewarding experience for anyone if they are able to find the right guild(s), in my opinion. If a person is unguilded because they haven't found the right guild yet, I can completely understand that, the experience needs to be enjoyable! If they aren't in a guild because they just don't like being in contact with other players, well, I don't know what to say since they are playing an MMO :[ The one thing I don't like about this change is that at the opening of the expansion, I feel that it will rush players into choosing a guild to get started on guild rep already when a guild should be carefully chosen if one is to enjoy it.

    I also wouldn't worry too much about large guilds stealing players. Raiding guilds, for example, generally have rules in place about attendance or other things. I don't think guild perks will encourage players to inflict those rules upon themselves for the periods of time required to get the perks just to get the guild perks "faster" than they would in their smaller, more enjoyable guild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about just creating your own guild for only your toons (like many of us do for a banking toon just for the benefit of having a guild bank to hold all our crap) and then slowly work your way to level up those guild perks for yourself. You even get to choose which ones of them you want.

    I don't really see the problem for the loners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely. I have never really gotten much from a guild, since my up-in-the-air work schedule prohibits me from signing up for raid ahead of time.

    The socializing doesn't really do it for me... I'm just one of those people who it annoys.

    So being forced to put up with social stuff or else lose out on benefits is a change in game philosophy. I understand playing arena/doing heroic raiding is what gets you the best in pve/pvp, but thats expected in an MMO. But being forced to be social? Thats a new (and unwelcome) development.

    Hopefully, a 2 person guild (I have one RL friend I play with) will still be able to get all the perks of a big one. Otherwise is will just annoy the heck out of me that the idiot emoting "lol dood guildz are teh best :PPPPP" knowing that he has an easier time farming, gets more gear per hour, and gets more cool stuff because he has a guild.

    I completely agree with your conspiracy theory, by the way. And I don't think its a conspiracy... I think its a well thought out and logical conclusion to draw from the given evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guild perks are earned by the 20 most active characters in a guild. If your guild only has one character, then it would take you much longer to earn them, but you can eventually do it. This will not force lone wolves to be social, but it may however force them to suck it up and make their own vanity guild. Frankly, it's awesome to do. The shared vault space alone is worth the price MANY TIMES OVER. I suspect that if enough loners QQ over it, Blizz will cave and make it so you don't need ten signatures to get the guild started. But even if they don't, I offered 10g per signature for my last vanity guild -- we were up and running in under ten minutes. 90g, done. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of DDO players had the same concerns a few weeks ago when they instituted their guild renown system (with not nearly as enticing perks, but that's something else entirely). The way individuals got around this was to all band together to make guilds that stated right in the name that they were 1) just doing it for the airship(guild house), 2)expressed their displeasure with being 'forced' to join a guild, or 3) any number of passive/aggressive notions. Honestly, had I not already been in a guild, I would've joined one of those.

    A separate problem is that I've come across is, you stated that it's a bit of a ploy to keep players playing. This causes more trouble than it helps. This is how some guild drama starts. A person joins a guild. They really don't want to be there, they just want the bonuses. A sense of obligation will start to creep in, followed by resentment, or the resentment just builds on its own as the person realizes they really don't mesh with this group, knowing most of the playerbase. And then comes the discord...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be creating my own guild with the concerns expressed in this article in mind. It will be a guild that will act as a shelter from those who feel pressure to perform for the benefit of their other guild. Come and go as you please. If we get a perk, great. If not, meh. Want to raid w/ another guild? If they'll let you, then go for it. Want to have a guild bank? Go ahead, but don't expect there to be much in there. This is just for people who are on occasionally, and who wish to go about their business as before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about personal guilds that have just a few people in them? My spouse and I have a personal guild with about 15 characters in them (about 6-8 lvl 80s). Will we get any perks since the guild is so small?

    ReplyDelete
  10. WoW, like all other Massively MULTIPLAYER Online games, was designed to be a social experience. Yes, these guild perks are designed to reward people who play with a guild and therefore in a social manner, but that's merely rewarding people who choose to play the game in the manner it was designed. Are you being penalized for solo-play? No. You're just not being rewarded for playing the game it was supposed to be played.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are all types of guilds out there though. My wife owns a guild for players that don't want to be in a guild but are tired of guild invites and charters being spammed to them. No guild chat, no events, just the tag of Serenity Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm gaining reputation and building towards guild perks just by doing QUESTS. So, pretty much everything you do in even a 1 person guild will eventually earn you all the same perks that huge guilds have. However, it will take you longer to earn them. If you play by yourself, once a week, of course you aren't just going to magically earn them all in one day. However, it WOULD give you a goal, and you would be proud of yourself about how great you did working on them by yourself. Now, like everything else in the game, doing it with other people is just easier and faster than doing it alone. The best guild perk of all has always been the ability to do group activities better than trying to solo or PUG your way through the game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know what, I'm struggling to think how I'm going to find a guild in Cataclysm in which I'll be happy remaining in unless I make my own and I need friends to join with me if I did make my own which I'm not sure I have so I don't have a clue what's going to happen and the fact that if I remain guildless I'll miss out on some great stuff? Meh.

    Perhaps social guilds will pop up, allowing the social players to pug, do their solo achievements, then log out for a couple of weeks. That'd be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another aspect of WoW that I will never see. Therefor I do not care about it. It has no impact on me.

    Not in a guild and will NEVER join a guild in this game EVER!

    Have you actually MET the player base? Blizz needs to hire head shrinks and start programming lessons on how to NOT be a fucktard for the idiot little boys who ruin this game daily. God luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are now weary of them? (guild perks)

    Did you mean wary?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did mean "wary". Thank you, anonymous commenter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent thoughts! I'm finding it difficult to get signatures for my own "vanity guild." I like that phrase. I even say things like "Signatures only please. Leave guild after formation"--perhaps I'm using too many complicated words, but I get no hits at all. I did get a cynic's response though: he said no one wants to join a level 1 guild when they're level 9 already.... Whaaa?! I guess I'll just keep trying...

    ReplyDelete