Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Higher Learning: Waiting around for fun and profit

That's right, the advice column is back... for one week, at least. Then it'll go back to the retirement home for blog columns, where it will lounge on the beach and complain about how the miscellany and philosophy columns never write anymore ever since they had to start working overtime to make up for his absence. Ah well, c'est la vie.

One of my goals that I want to accomplish before Cataclysm comes out is that I want to earn the achievement Higher Learning. For those who don't know, Higher Learning requires you to read eight books that spawn in predetermined spots in Dalaran. They spawn every three to four hours and last only five minutes (three if someone reads them) before they disappear, and you need to read all eight to finish the achievement. Did I mention that there's a fairly high chance of a dud book spawning in place of the book needed for the achievement? And that if that happens, you have to wait another three to four hours for another chance at the book you need? Yeah, it's annoying.

Why do I want to finish this achievement before Cataclysm? Once Cataclysm hits, I will likely be too busy with all of the new content to consider going back to Dalaran and running around just to look for the books I need to finish that achievement, and thus I will have no chance at the pet or the ability to teleport to the secret room above the Violet Citadel (which, for a loner like myself, is a pretty good reward). Luckily, the pre-expansion slump gives me the perfect opportunity to take the time I need to get this achievement, and in going for it, I have discovered a technique that I would like to share with you all.

If you are going to attempt this achievement, I highly recommend that you read Breanni's guide on Higher Leraning. It covers all of the basics that you need to know to understand how this achievement works, and this post will assume you know the basics about Higher Learning.

Now, as Breanni's guide says, there are two approaches one can take to earn this achievement: pathing, and camping. Pathing involves running around Dalaran past all of the spots where the books you don't have will spawn, and while it might take less time than camping, it's likely to make one go insane (trust me on that one). However, the boredom intrinsic in camping carries the same exact risk, so the question becomes, how to mitigate that risk? I have a few steps that will help you with that, steps that are very reminiscent of the advice I give in my post on how to avoid boredom whilst leveling fishing.

1. Pick a spot to camp.
Simple, really; just pick a book you haven't read yet and go to the spot where it will spawn.

2. Go into windowed mode.
If WoW is in full-screen mode, this strategy won't work: press command-M if you are on a Mac or control-M if you are on a windows computer.

3. Open another window.
Now comes the hard part. You need to pick something you can do for an extended period of time that won't require your total and complete attention. That can be working on something semi-mindless for work or school, chatting it up on your favorite forum, or going on a wiki-walk or archive binge (incidentally, the website that those two links will take you too is a great place to go if you are bored and want to spend a lot of time doing something on the internet). Whatever you chose, it must fit two criteria: you must be able to divert your attention away from it at least every minute or so (only for a split second), and it cannot take up the full screen. You'll see why in a bit.

4. The set-up.
With WoW in windowed mode and your character near the book's spawn point, set up your camera so that you'll be able to see the spot where the book will spawn while your second window is over WoW. Once your camera is set up that way (some picture demonstrating what I mean can be found below), simply engage in whatever activity is in your second window, and when you think of it, take a look at WoW. Eventually, a book will spawn, and when it does, you can click WoW's window and read the book. Simple, really.

Here's a picture of me with my WoW camera set up to employ this method, with a helpful arrow to show where the book will spawn.


Here's what my screen looks like with WoW in windowed mode and Firefox over it.

You can click on the picture to view a larger version with better detail. As you can see, I can see the spot where the book will spawn on the left side of my screen, and I am free to do as I please while I wait for the book to spawn. If you choose to do something similar to what I did, you can re-size the window of your internet browser of choice to give yourself more space to see the book; I just have it set up this way because I always have that little space on the left side of Firefox (it's quite convenient for me).

And in case you are worried about not being able to see the book when it spawns, worry not:


As you can see, the book is clearly visible when it spawns, as long as you set up your camera so that you'll actually be able to see the book. You may need to work your second window around seeing the book if you can't work your WoW camera to make the book visible, but do whatever you have to do.

This strategy is a slow one, but I have already found two books (as well as three duds) after using it for a bit under a week, which is pretty good, considering that it doesn't actually require much time spent in WoW itself, so I can guarantee that it does work. Best of luck, and happy waiting!

Edit: I forgot to add that you are quite likely to get Manabonked by Minigob Manabonk while using this strategy, so if you are trying to get The Mischief Maker as well, you can kill two birds with one stone with this strategy.

3 comments:

  1. The single most useful hint I found to completing this achievement is: The books are a guaranteed spawn at each location upon a server restart. (Now, you can still find a fake book, but they'll all be there.) If you are able to be around when the servers are coming up from maintenance each week - it's the best time to run around and look as quickly as possible. Rolling restarts work the same way.

    There are also some addons that can help you keep track of when you saw specific books. Since there's a minimum period of time between spawns, this can be really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely good advice, but like I said, this advice is meant to be be supplementary to what Breanni already wrote on the subject, and I believe he covered those points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are mistaken about the books despawning after five minutes if they are not read. None of the other guides I have seen suggest that. In fact Breanni's guide specifically says they stay until clicked. They do despawn after three minutes once someone has clicked on them.

    I started working on this achievement about a week ago and have 7/8 now. I rely on the books staying around for a while when the population is low. I just log a few times in early in the morning, usually around 6:30, 7:00 and 7:30 server time, take two minutes to check all the spawn points then log out. I have even been going back and reading the "junk" books at the spawn points, just for the flavor. Using this method I usually find at least one book (junk or real) per login, sometimes two or three.

    One hint if you are using the "pathing" method: when you are standing in the doorway of the Violet Citadel, at the top of the outside staircase, if you look across the street toward the Threads of Fate you can mouseover the spawnpoint on the balcony and see whether a book is there. That saves running up and down the stairs in the shop.

    ReplyDelete