Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Real ID and the necessity of anonymity

Edit: We did it, folks; the change isn't going to happen. Rejoice!

I am publishing this post early because I feel the significance of the events in question warrants it.

Sometimes, the best way to summarize your feelings about recent events is with a loldog.

Boy, have the proverbial feces ever hit the fan on this one! In case you missed it, Blizzard announced that starting some time in July, if you post on the official forums, your real name will be displayed, rather than your character's name. It's a shocker, I know. They are apparently doing this in the hopes of curtailing trolling on the official forums, but it's going to have a lot of negative consequences for decent posters, as well. If this is your first time hearing about this and you haven't had time for the news to sink in yet, I suggest you give it time before you continue reading this post.

Back? Calmer? Good, let's begin.

Blizzard's decision reflects a general trend in the evolution of the internet: privacy is getting harder and harder to have. The ease with which someone with your full name and your general location can look up your address and phone number and--if they are willing to shell out a bit of money--so, so much more, is alarming. In a world that is becoming increasingly connected, staying comfortably and safely detached is getting more difficult. These aren't abstract concerns I'm saying here, either. When community manager Bashiok posted his real name, the community responded by finding out his address, phone number, and the names and ages of his family members using simple Google searches, and using that information to harass him. (though apparently, they may have mistaken a random California resident for Bashiok, for Bashiok may have an unlisted number, but that doesn't make it any less sobering) While I don't agree with their methods, I do agree with the message these rogue googlers are try to send; when people have access to your full name, it can lead to all manor of bad things.

Now, if I were to write this post the way I have written many other posts, I would here propose a hypothetical question contrary to the point I wish to eventually prove, something along the lines of, "Could the lack of anonymity do more good than harm?". I would then examine this question, attempt to answer in the affirmative, and then show all of the problems inherent in an affirmative answer. This time, however, I just can't bring myself to do it. I certainly could do it if I were so inclined. I could talk about how anonymity on the internet has lead to a lack of ownership of one's behavior and perhaps postulate on how seeing people as avatars with user names, rather than real people with real names, leads us to have less empathy for others. (If you are looking for a good article on the subject, I highly recommend Jason McCabe Calacanis's "We Live In Public (and the end of empathy)".) But this is an issue I feel so strongly about that I just can't bring myself to feign an understanding of the other side of the argument, so I'll just have to skip that part.

Put simply, anonymity is not only something we denizens of the internet are accustomed to, it's a necessity. There are just certain parts of our lives, parts frequently made possible by the internet itself, that we don't want the people we meet in our daily lives to know about. For the sake of relevance, I'll go over the one most relevant to us, the WoW community; outside of the gaming community (and the few non-gamers who still support the gaming community) it's still not cool to admit that you are a gamer. Though we, like many sub-cultures, are gaining more respect as the years go on, many still think of the stereotypical pasty, basement-dwelling, no-life stereotype when they think of video gamers. The image of the casual gamer (a category which the majority of gamers fit in to) just hasn't seemed to have caught on, so if an employer Google's your name and sees that you have posted on the WoW forums, he will judge you for that, even if he can't be sure it's really you.

This applies more generally, as well. I can only speak for myself, but as a member of multiple online communities, there are things I may say and do online only because I know I am among like-minded individuals. On this blog, I can talk about WoW as seriously and as critically as I do because I know I'm not likely to be shot down by someone saying, "You take this way to seriously." (which has happened to me before in face-to-face conversations) In the WoW.com comments section, I can be similarly passionate about this game with the comfort of knowing that those who read what I post will not consider it odd that I care about WoW as much as I do. I'm sure you can think of ways this phenomenon applies to you in whatever internet communities you are a part of, WoW-related or otherwise.

What I mean to say by bringing this up is that anonymity is not a bad thing; it is a tool, a tool that has, unfortunately, been used by many as an excuse for bad behavior. But anonymity can be used for good. Someone who is a member of the GLBT community who is not open about their sexuality to the people they know can take advantage of the anonymity of the internet to join an online GLBT group for support in the process of coming out. Someone who is a member of the furry community who may never meet another furry in his life can go online to a furry group and realize that he is not as unusual as he may have thought. A man who is a fan of a show typically aimed at women can go online to find fan groups and use his anonymity to discuss and praise the work without the risk of ridicule. Someone who is a gamer but also has a life outside of gaming can use the fact that online gaming forums are anonymous to discuss his game of choice without the risk of ridicule from those who don't understand the gaming community... oh wait.

But really, the issue of the potential for real-world harassment (a potential we have already seen come to fruition) should be enough to prove that us being forced to use our real names on the forums is a horrible idea. It may curtail trolling (truth be told, it probably won't; I know some trolls in real life, and believe me when I say, trolls will be trolls, no matter what we may do), but it will only encourage trolling's real-world counterparts: harassment and stalking. This is a dangerous path to tread down, Blizzard, both for you and your players; I am begging you to turn back now.

4 comments:

  1. Do I know you? Have we met? Have I shared stories about myself with you? Is there a reason you chose to single me out in that next to last paragraph? I mean...way to hit the nail on the head all 4 times.

    You know my real name, don't you. You've been stalking me through the internet.

    Damn you, RealID!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no, I haven't been stalking you, and you haven't shared stories with me, but I am just as amused by the coincidence as you are. Truth be told, I picked these examples because two of them actually do apply to me, while I made up the other two while writing this post; I'll leave it to my reader's imaginations to guess which two apply to me. ;-)

    And if you (that's a "you all" type "you", not a "you" directed as Saniel) do guess correctly, don't expect me to confirm it, although I'm now genuinely curious as to which two of the above categories my readers think apply to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm glad that Blizzard stop with their illusion of applying real ID on forums. We all have our own reasons why we don't want to use our real name, some for security and some just because they want to be somebody else that they can't be on the real world."

    A gold seller leaving a legitimate comment? You fellas are getting crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive what will undoubtedly become scattered comments coming late to the discussion. However I came late to your blog and have found it very interesting.

    For the matter at hand, I'll state up front that the Real ID fiasco is best left as a bit of history. It was a huge mistake on Blizzard's part.

    As much as I appreciate my privacy, and because of this refuse to participate in some forms of social networking, like for example Facebook; I don't believe that absolute anonymity is a good thing. Especially when we're talking about anything that is considered a community.

    That being said, Blizzard could solve many of it's problems by simply created a system where by all of your characters are tied to one handle. I'm aware that there are instances where people want to play by themselves, and as such have alts that are not known by friends and guild mates, I'm one of those people. However I would give this up if it held more people accountable for their actions.

    Now stepping outside the realm of WoW:

    I for one value privacy a great deal, however there is no important aspect of my life that I've chosen to hide from family and friends. And we're not just talking about bad choices or indiscretions. No one is perfect.

    However by this I do mean, my religious family members are very much aware that I'm not a believer. If I were gay, I would not hide this. The fact that I'm a gamer is well known by everyone in my life, and I've never felt the need to hide these things for one reason. And I think it's apt to quote Nietzsche here.

    "10. Not to perpetrate cowardice against one's own acts! Not to leave them in the lurch afterward! The bite of conscience is indecent."
    -Twilight Of The Idols, Maxims And Arrows

    By this I mean, if you live your life in such a way that your actions, and beliefs are in line, and you don't abandon your actions, even your mistakes, this strength of character shines through. The people who do not respect this quality in someone quite simply aren't worth your time.

    I'm not suggesting that closet Furries must "out" themselves anymore than guys who like to wear panties, or women who like to get handcuffed. This is the difference between privacy, things that do not need to be shared, and cowardice.

    If your actions are harmful to someone else, this is where people seek hiding in anonymity. Privacy and anonymity are NOT the same thing.

    If your actions are quite simply private matters, well that's fine you have a right to that privacy. Let's just not confuse the two.

    Which is why I think the 4 examples above are vastly different things, and don't belong together. You shouldn't have to hide, or be ashamed of being Gay, Gamer, Furry, or a lover of Women's Television. But let's be clear, enjoying a television show isn't the same as a sexual fetish, and a sexual fetish is not the same as gaming, nor is gaming anything like being gay. Being gay is not a fetish, people can know that you prefer men without having to know all the dirty details. This is just being tactful. Refusing to disclose an interest in a certain television show is just a type of cowardice.

    ReplyDelete