Friday, October 29, 2010

The questionable legitimacy of objective rewards

So I'm back with more tales from the warrior front. As I mentioned in my last post before my laptop went down, patch 4.0.1 revitalized my interest in the game by turning my warrior alt from a joke to a force to be reckoned with, one who can take down red-colored-level monsters and complete red-colored quests with ease. What was once something of a burden has become fun; so fun, in fact, that I didn't want to stop playing my warrior. Killing things became so fun that I started to resent any break in the process, including needing to go to a capital city to learn my new moves. It was when I realized that this was the case that I was a bit shocked; after all, isn't leveling up the whole point of the leveling process? Why was I suddenly not looking forward to hitting those levels?

I remember that back before patch 4.0.1 made leveling a warrior fun, I looked forward to each time I leveled up. I would count the little bars in my experience bar and watch them fill, waiting anxiously for that time when I would see that golden light. Though all levels gave me a bit of a rush, the even ones especially were the ones I looked forward to, for that was when I would get my new abilities. But more than that, each of those levels represented something I had accomplished, something I had worked for. Leveling at the lower levels was usually not that fun, and each time I leveled up, it was like the game was telling me, "You should feel satisfied with what you have accomplished." And I did, and thus, though the leveling process was a pain, it was worth it for the sense of satisfaction I felt upon ascending to each new level.

Now, however, things are different (for me, at least). As I play my warrior, I don't watch the experience bar at all; I've been taken by surprise by that golden light quite a few times, in fact. And while the odd levels are met with joy (I do get to spend a talent point, after all), the even levels are met with less enthusiasm, since I have to go out of my way to learn whatever new ability I get at those levels. In other words, as I play my warrior now, leveling up is merely incidental to the leveling process; it's just another event that happens along the way. And it has become that way because the leveling process is now exciting in its own right, because this class is finally fun to play.

But now I'm a bit jaded, because I have experienced the contrast between playing for the objective statistical rewards and playing in spite of them. I have experienced the contrast between playing the game for the end result and playing the game for the sake of playing the game, and I'm not sure I could go back to the former. To put this in terms that might be more familiar to people who don't level alts frequently, the difference I have experienced is like the different between running a raid because you want to say you killed that boss or because you want the loot upgrades they drop, and running a raid because you enjoy raiding. One mode of play is motivated by the end-result, the other is motivated by the playing itself, and that's what I'm experiencing on my warrior now.

After experiencing this shift in mode of play, I realized that much of the time I have spent playing WoW has been spent in results-oriented mode. Most of the heroics I ran were motivated by the emblems that dropped and the gear that could be obtained with them. Most of the alts I leveled were leveled so that I could experience playing them once they got their better abilities and became fun, but I ended up leveling even the few that I managed to get that far for the sake of that flash of golden light. Maybe that's why I was never able to get into raiding; I was there for the experience, not the loot, the achievements, or the bragging rights, so I had nothing to motivate me to gloss over the things I found tedious or frustrating about the whole process.

So what does that mean in the larger scheme of things? Well, for me, it means I have become skeptical of many of the rewards we get for playing and their purpose in the game. By a metaphorical show of hands, how many of you would play WoW if there were no gear, no leveling up, no achievements, etc.; just the gameplay? Some of you would, I'm sure, so the other question is, how long would you play a game like this? Would you have raided ICC for ten months (going on eleven) if the gear weren't there to motivate you or to pace your progress? Maybe you would have; I won't make any assumptions, I'm just presenting these questions as food for thought.

But where am I going with this? Truth be told, I'm not sure myself; this mode of playing WoW is so new to me that I'm still getting a feel for it, for its nuances and consequences. I suppose the only thing I can say for now is that, though levels, gear currency, achievements, and gear itself might serve larger purposes within the game, they should be incidental to the gameplay itself. They should be there as conveniences and game mechanics, not as motivators to play. When they do become players' reasons to play, that's a sign that the gameplay itself isn't enough to keep people playing, and that says to me that the game just isn't fun.

5 comments:

  1. This is how I play, just for the fun of it. It's one reason why I still don't like slow leveling, reputation gating and other pacing mechanics derived from the need for a subscription dripfeed. I'm an explorer, through and through, so as long as I'm exploring and experimenting, I'm having fun. Once it turns into a slog for stuff or a grind for gating, I'm done.

    ...and yes, this does seem to coincide with altitis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...though I should clarify: I don't mind slow leveling so long as there's plenty to do and explore in an area. If I'm repeating content to get to new content, it gets old fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play for the storyline... I like interacting with the "history" of the world as it is being made. I never notice the leveling process if I am in the middle of a good storyline (i.e. Pamela's Doll, Bridenbrad, Wrathgate, etc.) and will read the quests every line of text to better understand what I am doing and why. The reason I've done ICC week after week is because I want to help stop Arthas, and I can't stand poor Tirion living through whatever befalls him when we fail!

    Having said that, I'm not a role-player. I love the storyline the same way I love a book, and am completely un-interested in pretending I have a complex storyline through pretending. Nothing against it! I can certainly see the draw of creatively creating a fully fleshed out character and I'm glad that there are role-players because I think it causes storyline development to have more consideration put into a player's role in the universe, but I feel silly pretending I'm an elf! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I play because I like to play. I raid because I love the feeling of downing a boss (or, if we're not quite there yet, making progress at least). I play tanks because I like the role and the contrasting mechanics between the different tank classes. What few dps toons I play, I play because they're fun to play as well. I've long held that the reward of new gear for me is completely incidental to the fact that it will help me get that new boss down, or get into that raid. I played for two years without any distinct "achievements" to earn. And as for levels? When most of the game is at the endgame, do levels really have any significance anyhow? So yes, I feel that I play to play, to challenge myself and achieve, and to lesser extent explore.

    Your post actually hits upon a concept in psychology called intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation. Playing the game because it's fun to play the game is intrinsic motivation. Playing to collect achievements, gear, etc. is extrinsic motivation. Intrinsic motivation has been studied a lot in education and linked to increased achievement *and* enjoyment by students... I've also personally observed the effects of intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation in my workplace. (You probably can too--just try to spot the always-grumpy guy who makes more money than you. Or, if you hate your job, look for the poor, unpaid intern who's always smiling.)

    Extrinsic motivation... Well, it's hard to see it as anything other than a carrot on a stick.

    I think this is why I found myself more attracted to leveling alts and less attracted to raiding in Wrath. A lot of the hassle and tedium of leveling was removed by having heirlooms and Dungeon Finder, so the leveling process itself just became that much more fun. Meanwhile, with everyone chasing hard modes and achievements, I found myself burning out on raiding with more and more frequency. (This is actually an observable effect of extrinsic motivation known as "overjustification".)

    I'm really hoping that with the changes to raiding in Cataclysm--more viability for 10-man raiding, fewer raid lockouts and thusly fewer of the same bosses being killed multiple times per week--that the intrinsic value of raiding will go back up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I'd like to see in WoW leveling is continuity of classes and less reliance on the "trainer", which is less of a trainer, and more of a "button vendor". They've kinda touched on this in Wrath:
    *Caster mobs don't cast weak effects until empty then melee, or cast only when at range, then melee; They break away to get out of range, then continue to cast powerful effects.
    *Abilities are shared between character and NPC counterparts. DKs and the Black Knight having Army of the dead, Rogues and Phantom Mercenaries having Shadowstep, Paladins and Eadric the Pure having Blinding shield.
    *Professions that create products that all players, regardless of class & level, can profit from, in Inscription & Archeology. Archeology mostly for the BoA nature of the rewards.

    If I was creating a game similar to WoW, I would make one of the key elements that you change with the game, and the game changes with you. Like the new archeology profession, you would learn new abilities by "collection", from fighting npcs similar to you. New mage, only knows 4 abilities until you run into evil mages who can cone of cold when you get close... defeat a bunch of them and TADA! You have that ability. A warrior jumps on a warrior who can whirlwind, and eventually learns to whirlwind themselves. Talents are for spec-specific abilities and for alterations of the abilities that you've already gained.

    Sure there would still be quests to kill 30 wolves, but the difference would be that those wolves are also there to teach hunter pets and feral dps druids a move or two. It removes the button vendor and simultaneously helps people who "just don't get" how a class-name-here works to play their class, and also understand what other classes do in the process.

    ReplyDelete