Friday, October 15, 2010

How did we put up with this for so long?

There are a lot of negative things I could say about patch 4.0.1. I could talk about Warlocks losing the names of pets that they have had since long ago, names they grew attached to, before a bug took them away (but that's going to be fixed, anyways). I could talk about how atrocious I find the new tree of life model, but time and accepting that I'm probably done healing on my druid has turned my abhorrence into utter indifference. I've already talked about the loss of tree of life as a permanent form, so no point in belaboring that point. Of course, the fiasco of post-4.0.1 class balance is a topic rife with discussable points, but I can't be angry about any of these things. I can't be angry about them because of the changes this patch has made to my warrior alt.

You see, I rolled my little warrior (currently residing at level 25; he was level 22 when the patch hit) as a way to enjoy this game before Cataclysm comes out, but leveling him was a very trying process. Heroic strike, the ability we were supposed to use while fighting one-on-one, consumed so much rage that using Thunder Calp, an ability meant for AoE combat, was actually more rage efficient, even against one enemy. Of course, this meant the damage of a low level warrior was incredibly sub-par, for there weren't many other abilities I could use to increase my damage. I could use Rend, a damage over time ability; Overpower, which I could only use after one of my attacks was dodged, i.e. not all that frequently; and Victory rush, which I could only use once per battle, anyways. In short, at low levels, warriors lacked the abilities they needed to be viable in one-on-one combat.

With patch 4.0.1, however, that all changed. My warrior went from level 22 to 25 (granted, I was two bars away from 23 when 4.0.1. hit) probably as quickly as he went from 21 to 22 thanks to the new move set he has. What you might not know if you've only been following the level-cap changes in patch 4.0.1 is that this patch brought with it changes to how and when we learn abilities at low levels. We only need to learn an ability once, after which it scales as we level. Because of this, Blizzard spread out the rate at which we learn new abilities, so that we have more to learn at higher levels than we would if they had kept it the same. In the process, they reevaluated the order in which we learn abilities and shifted it a bit. This was also the patch where they changed the nature of our abilities. What this all adds up to is that, thanks to the new (new for my level, at least) and improved abilities this patch gave my lowly warrior, he is suddenly viable in combat and--dare I say... fun.

Yes, I said it... ok, I really implied it, but I'll say it now: leveling as a warrior was just not fun in the 1 to 22 range before this patch. Having abilities that weren't viable sitting unused on my bar while using abilities that weren't meant for the situation I was in because the abilities that were meant for the situation I was in were practically useless wasn't fun. Now, all of a sudden, leveling as a fury warrior actually feels like playing a berserker. We have a lot more rage now, thanks (I think) to the rage normalization, and we have abilities that we actually want to spend that rage on. Playing as a fury warrior in low levels is now a frenzy of trying to use the abilities available to you as quickly as possible, since you actually have the rage to do so, rather than an exercise in waiting for Thunder Clap to come off its cooldown and hoping you have enough rage to use it when it does.

So why am I gushing about the new playstyle of low-level fury warriors? Well, after playing as my warrior for an hour or two last night; after surviving a battle against seven enemies of my level, all attacking me at once, when four doing the same thing could have easily done me in before the patch; I had to ask myself: why did we put up with the absolutely terribad playstyle of low level warriors for so long? In fact, I'm sure warriors aren't the only class whose low-level play has been vastly improved by this patch, so I have to ask; why did we put up with bad low level playstyles for so long?

Well, part of the answer is that many people didn't. I know quite a few players who hate the leveling process, and the way some classes play at low levels played no small part in their hatred of that part of the game. Of course, alt-aholics like me really had no choice other than putting up with the bad low-level content, hoping it would be worth it with the higher level content. Part of it could be the idea that we are somehow earning our fun, that the bad low-level playstyle is the price we have to pay to get to the more fun playstyle. That idea is reinforced by the idea that any sort of bad experience we go through makes us able to better appreciate the good experiences we go through, a truism I have often heard in real life.

It could also have something to do with a little condition called learned helplessness. The idea of learned helplessness is that if we accept that we have no control over a situation, it causes us to accept the misery that situation brings upon us, even if a way out is presented. There wasn't a lot we could do to improve the playstyle of classes that were not at all fun to play while leveling, other than not leveling those classes, so those of us who wanted to level those classes just had to accept that the early levels were going to be unenjoyable. (And boy were they. Priests? Paladins? Warriors? Druids? I'm looking at you.) So we gritted our way through those early levels, because we had no other choice if we wanted to get to the part where the classes become fun to play (and I can tell you from personal experience that priests and druids got much more fun to play as you approach the later levels).

Could it really be that bad, though? Could us hopeless alt-aholics really be suffering from the same condition that keeps battered spouses and depressed people in their predicaments? As the blog post I linked to mentions, when someone suffering from learned helplessness does get out of their situation, they often have a hard time committing to anything afterward, and tend to continue believing in nihilism and futility, rather than having hope and being optimistic. When I first logged in to my warrior, I had my doubts about whether he would be any more fun to play, but I gave it a try anyways. As you can tell, I was blown away once I did, but the important thing was whether I hesitated at all. Well, I did find it a bit tedious to need to go to the trainer and learn new moves, and viewed rearranging my action bar with the same weary view. In fact, that fact that I started playing again after rearranging my abilities doesn't really do much to disprove the learned helplessness theory, because I still expected playing to not be all that enjoyable; the surprise came from the fact that I enjoyed play my warrior, not from the fact that I did, in fact, play him. Thus I was engaging in old behaviors with the same kind of futile outlook; all that changed was the result.

So perhaps we alt-aholics who braved our way through the early levels of the unfun classes did suffer from learned helplessness, but patch 4.0.1 is here now, here to liberate us from the previous doldrums of the early levels. Along with this forced liberation comes the force relocation (metaphorically speaking) to a much more fun game design; in other words, we are being flat-out prevented from going back to the situation that caused our learned helplessness in the first place. We have been forced into our escape, forced into a more hopeful situation, and though we might not have been cured of that helplessness, at least we have been saved in spite of it. What this means for the future of low-level playing and us alt-aholics, though, remains to be seen.

6 comments:

  1. I played all 10 classes at least until level 12, many farther than that (for DKs I did the starting area) and I certainly agree that there have been some real improvements, but in fury warriors I think you happened to pick one of the best ones. The changes for warlocks, for instance, are not nearly as pronounced (though warlocks were fine for leveling before) and a couple of specs seemed totally botched (balance druids and prot paladins).

    As someone with 11 level 80s and four more level 70+ characters, I obviously can't get enough alt-ohol. I'm really happy with most of the changes they made and I'm already leveling a new priest to see what the low level healing environment is like. It will be even more exciting when cataclysm actually changes the content, but obviously I'll be waiting months to experience that since leveling my main will take precedence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been playing a low level Druid on a trial account for Big Bear Butt's event tomorrow. The changes are fantastic for lowbie Feral Druids. We get Cat form at level 8 and Bear at 15 (the inversion is smart, and the earlier we get them, the better) now. We get Mangle at level 10, and it makes low level cats and bears hit *hard*.

    Hunters with pets at creation is really smart as well, something I've called for many times.

    Low levels are much better in 4.0 than they were previously, from what I can see. From actually helpful tooltips to smarter skill allocation, there's more to do earlier on, and that's a Good Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree, this is an amazing change, I hate the leveling process until now, I have only ever had ONE toon, and 17 at level 28 or lower, I try and try, but never get anywhere... now... wham! bam! they play, well, right. I am gonna have alts for the first time since vanilla I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just like to say Thankyou :)

    thankyou for being one of the few willing to focus on the possitive parts of this patch ^_^

    with the new leveling system, I can't WAIT for the new quests and starting zones in Cata, the end game will be a bumpy road for a while but for now leveling is finally FUN :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, 4.0+ is great for the lowbie game. Rogues with Shadowstep at lvl 10, Locks with felguards at lvl 10 (RIP Drain Tanking), Warriors with rage pre-level-cap, etc. etc.

    That + LFG I imagine will continue breathing life into WoW and bringing in new subscribers for some time to come. GG Bliz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Abhorrence"? Really? I abhor serial rapists and Nazis, not druid forms in videogames.

    For once, can fans use an ounce of restraint when discussing patches? You would think the world was literally ending from the way people, yourself included, are discussing the 4.0.1 and Cataclysm changes.

    Also, everyone is only going to be level 80 for another month and a half. Talking about class balance at this level is beyond moot. Enjoy steamrolling heroic modes and get ready for a sundered Azeroth!

    ReplyDelete