Friday, October 1, 2010

On the origin of Alliance faction animosity

As you might already know if you have been reading my blog for a while, I hold no animosity towards the Horde and its players, and it seems I'm not the only one who doesn't, yet it seems the Horde holds a disproportionate amount of animosity towards us Alliance players. There has been quite of bit of speculation as to why this is, with explanations ranging from, "The Horde was once the minority, so they developed pride and resentment of the Alliance," to the surprisingly insightful, "The back stories revealed by their intro cinematics are much more about conflict and war than those of the Alliance." But either way, something about the imbalanced nature of faction animosity within the community makes me seriously wonder whether Blizzard could be doing a better job of encouraging it.

It's certainly no question that Blizzard does want there to be faction animosity in the game. That fact can plainly be seen by the fact that it's against the terms of use to engage in any attempt to speak with the other faction. Entry 9.B.viii states, "When engaging in Chat, you may not... Communicate directly with players who are playing characters aligned with the opposite faction (e.g. Horde communicating with Alliance or vice versa)..." Considering that verbal communication is what has allowed us human beings to progress as far as we have evolutionarily and is one of the defining aspects of our species, there are few more effective ways to dehumanize a group of people than to prevent communication with them (and, conversely, few more effective ways to humanize them then to allow communication with them). We can also see evidence of Blizzard trying to add some more faction animosity to the game by generally ramping up the Horde vs. Alliance conflict in Cataclysm by implementing quests that put the player at the front lines of this battle. Whether Blizzard is doing this to encourage war or to give the players the war they want is debatable, but if my poll is anything to go on, it appears the majority of players don't have any animosity for the other faction (I'm going to assume that those who play both sides don't have animosity for one of them, or else, why would they play both sides?)

So it seems Blizzard wants this animosity to exist, yet if the numbers are anything to go on, they haven't done that great of a job of making it happen. But perhaps the direct creation of animosity in the Alliance isn't their intention. Though I don't know much about lore, I know that when WoW first came out, the conventional wisdom was that the Alliance races all had their dark spots and weren't paragons of good, while most of the Horde races were just victims of unfortunate circumstances. It seems, however, that as WoW has continued, the Horde has been pulling ahead in terms of its place in the world. Sure, they've been through some hard times between everything Garrosh and Putress has brought on them, but the Horde players themselves have certainly moved up in the game. The fact that the faction balance is almost even should be evidence enough of that. Thus I propose a potentially radical theory: what if Blizzard wants the Alliance to feel like the victims now?

This possibility was brought to the forefront of my mind by one description of a quest on the Cataclysm beta:

The story [of the Worgen] from beginning to end is about unchecked, unbounded Forsaken aggression against a people who had never fought them, never attacked them, never tried to invade Lordaeron or claim lands held by them. The people of Gilneas had gone out of their way to avoid the Forsaken, and it was Sylvanas (and behind her, Garrosh Hellscream) directly attacking a neutral nation purely out of naked lust for conquest and territorial acquisition. By the time you're done playing a worgen through the starting zones, you will be ready to put orc babies on spikes. It may be the first time I've ever felt the factional hatred entirely from the game instead of from other players.

In my own comment on that post, I noted that the quest seems to parallel my own experiences with Horde animosity, which I have already detailed in the past. I also noted in my post that my experiences with Horde animosity had successfully created a bit of Alliance pride and Horde resentment in me; truth be told, they are the only thing that has ever managed to do so. Perhaps Blizzard has caught on to this phenomenon and is trying a new approach to create more Horde-oriented animosity within the Alliance, by making us the victims. I mean, it worked with the Horde, so it might work for us, too. Why would they want to create this Alliance animosity? Well, without animosity on both sides, any conflict between the two factions would be very one-sided, and the Alliance would likely view the whole thing as silly (as quite a few of us do now). Considering that the storyline of Cataclysm will be more focused on war than the storylines of expansions past, they need us to be ok with that war, and faction animosity is one way to make that happen.

7 comments:

  1. As a long time WoW player whose main characters are all Horde, but has also leveled many Alliance toons to the various level caps over the years, I have really enjoyed you articles on the origins and levels of cross-faction animosity. I have to agree that faction loyalty and opposite-faction resentment is anecdotally stronger on the Horde side (even from me at times – especially during the Vanilla era) than I have ever experienced while playing my Alliance characters, and I have often thought about why that is or should be over the years.

    In my opinion (and that’s all this is), I think a significant source of faction loyalty and animosity stems from the original game design. At initial release, the Horde players were the underdogs, not just from a lore perspective, but in two core aspects of the game that mattered to people: 1) World Design, and 2) Early End Game Raiding. Overcoming the significant differences in these two facets of the game created an early Horde culture where success bred a “we are better than you” attitude. The after effects of those attitudes still linger among players in the game today

    From the beginning, it was perfectly clear that more design time had been spent on areas such as Stormwind, Ironforge, Darnassus and the human/dwarf starting areas than any other aspect of the game. The Alliance cities were more detailed with more logical, defensible layouts, the quests were more integrated (much more storyline, much less “Go kill 12 of x and bring back their eyeballs”), and the Alliance starting areas were much more “isolated” from the opposite faction, i.e the primary “battleground” of Hillsbrad had Horde players heading there as level 20s while the alliance was sent in their 30s. From a design point of view some of this was intentional (i.e. more defensible cities) and some was not (more developer focus on Eastern Kingdom vice Kalimdor before they ran out of time to market), but all in all these items contributed to Horde player resentment and frustration. I still feel a bigger sense of accomplishment when I kill an Alliance as opposed to a Horde faction leader because they are still so much harder to get to without interference due to their locations within the cities. Don’t even get a vanilla Horde player started on Alterac Valley, where two pallies and some DPS could hold-off an entire Horde raid at the bridge /shudder.

    When Blizzard introduced the game, a quick review of the racials and faction specific classes made it clear that the designers thought of the Horde as the aggressive/offensive faction (Blood Fury, Berserking, Shamans, etc.) and the Alliance as more reactionary/defensive (Escape Artist, Perception, Paladins, etc.). This was not a bad design philosophy, per say, as it gave the factions more flavor outside of graphics. That is until the mechanics fiasco that was Black Wing Lair in Tier 2 raiding. After the first two boss encounters, almost the entire dungeon’s primary obstacle was the management of threat when mechanics made tanks threat capped. All of a sudden the primary advantage of the Horde, i.e. the ability to kill things faster, was struck down and made an Achilles heel. It wasn’t long before the vast majority of the top guilds in the world (based on boss kill order) were Alliance due to this incoherent choice of a boss mechanic. Blizzard tried to band-aid this imbalance by introducing items like Tranquil Air totem, but by then the damage was done. So, when Horde guilds succeeded at raiding, they were almost justified in their superior attitudes, as they had accomplished something much harder. As we all known, Blizzard eventually threw up their hands over this and eliminated class specific classes.

    We will probably never know all the reasons why people feel faction loyalty and opposing animosity in a video game. I just thought I would share my perspectives on their early sources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my case it has to do a lot with my early leveling experience on my first character. At the time (2 years ago) Horde players on my server were constantly attacking the Night Elf areas. Astranaar was pretty much a battleground on the weekends and lone high level Horde players regularly laid waste to the town and then camped there on the weekdays. It really made leveling in that area unpleasant and played a large part in my initial dislike of the Horde. Add in the Alliance story line in that area and you get the answer "player driven but game reinforced"

    Although personally I don't play Horde due to the nature of many of the quests. When it comes to my escapist past times I prefer the role/stories of Galahad over Elric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having played through Warcraft 3, in which the primary alliance hero is Jaina Proudmoore (well, it's Arthas at first, but obviously he's not much of a hero) and the primary horde hero is Thrall, when I started playing WoW I felt like the Horde and the Alliance were both the good guys. I picked Alliance just because that's what my friends were already playing, and I never felt any desire to fight the Horde. If I saw a Horde player in IF fishing for Old Ironjaw I wouldn't even think of harassing them.

    I really do think that the whole thing is silly. I particularly get annoyed every time Deathbringer Saurfang gives his opening speech about how dumb we are to be fighting each other because it just makes the Lich King stronger. Yeah, I know that, unfortunately the developers didn't really give me a choice whether or not to use diplomacy instead of cannons in the gunship battle.

    To be honest, the only experience I've had that built Horde animosity was leveling my Horde character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this post analyses the answers to your poll almost only from a RP / lore point of view. The players opinions don't necessary follow it, especially given the formulation "I still feel superior to them".

    What about the stereotype about the alliance players being childish/selfish/immature?
    Possibly a part of what you've (more or less) understood as "The horde are the real heroes in wow" would rather express "the horde communauty is better (more helpful/open-minded/mature...)".

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Vinnz: I couldn't disagree more that the Horde ar more helpful, open-minded or mature. It probably varies from server to server, but on my server the Horde is far more mean spirited and selfish.

    As I said, the only think that made me really hate the Horde was playing with them. Where on alliance waiting for a quest mob to spawn would usually mean grouping up with others or waiting your turn, I found that horde were all about fast fingers even where other horde were concerned. Also, the attitude of superiority really shone through and people seemed much less willing to help one another or offer constructive feedback. Sure, on Alliance when someone asks a question there are six people calling them an idiot, but usually there is at least one person answering it. I didn't see that at all on Horde.

    As I said, I think it varies from server to server. On my server I think part of the problem may be that because of the reputation that the Horde is better at PvP, many of our most annoying and selfish Alliance players switched sides when faction change became an option. In reality, though, I just don't think there is a big difference in maturity between the factions across the whole game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sthenno: I am not saying that the Horde are more helpful/mature. I am saying that there is a stereotype about it (which can be true or not). And I am saying that this stereotype can create artefacts in the poll results.

    Someone voting "I play Horde; I tolerate the Alliance, but still feel superior to them." because he feels that horde players are more mature and someone voting the same because the introduction cinematics are more about the eternal conflict between factions do not mean the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. horde is not evil at all

    but forsaken is

    ReplyDelete