Sunday, January 16, 2011

Reader census, redux

Back when my blog was just starting to become noticed, I did a poll asking my readers what they spent most of their time doing in-game, what their main focus was. Did they spend most of their time raiding, for example? Or did they prefer battlegrounds, or perhaps leveling alts. I did this to get a better idea of what kind of advice posts I should write, back when I wrote those regularly. I later realized something which caused me to post a second poll of a similar nature, and that something I realized was that some players might have resigned themselves to certain activities because the activity they enjoy hasn't been fleshed out by the developers. I, for example, spent much time leveling alts in the days of Wrath of the Lich King because I enjoyed questing and solo-ing, but the solo content at the level cap grew pretty stale over time due to the fact that no good solo content (in my opinion) was added after Wrath came out (I didn't care much for the Argent Tournament). So I added a second poll asking people what they would spend most of their time doing if all parts of the game were given equal development effort and were equally fleshed out, interesting, and rewarding.

The problem was that I added this poll well after the first poll had gone up, so the population (to use the statistical term) surveyed by each poll was not consistent. This meant that disparities between the two polls could have been explained by a different subset of players voting once the second poll went up, rather than by legitimate disparities between what players spent their time doing and what they enjoyed most. There were also flaws with the way I picked the choices for the poll, such as the fact that I included "leveling alts" as one choice, a choice which I later realized told us nothing about how people chose to level their alts, which they could do with quests, dungeons, or battlegrounds. With Cataclysm changing the face of WoW so extensively, that could also have changed people's choices.

It is with all that in mind that I post these new polls now. The first poll is simply asking, what do you spend most of your time doing when you are playing WoW? Pretty simple, I think. The second poll might be a bit more confusing, so let me give it a bit more exposition. If all parts of WoW received equal development time and were equally fleshed out, interesting, and rewarding, what would you spend most of your time doing? Would you stop leveling alts and focus on your main now that the level cap actually had interesting solo content? Would you leave the raiding scene for the less stressful scene of heroics? Or would you remain where you are because the part of the game you currently play either does receive this kind of attention or because you just enjoy it that much?

If you would like to say why your answers on the two polls are the same or are different, I encourage you to do so in the comments section of this post.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I'm extremely interested in the outcome of this Ardol, and what conclusions you may draw from the resulting data.

    I find it interesting already that the 'What you would do' vote has less respondants than the 'what you are doing'. Now, it could be that people saw the top poll, didn't read or scroll and thus missed the second poll, but given my own pause before answering, I wonder if it's because they either don't know full stop or at least need time to consider it.

    Contemplating a WoW where any given aspect is equally developed and equally interesting is actually a rather big task.

    What would it mean, exactly, in the case of quests, for instance? Just that more quests would continue to be developed for max level characters, but in the same vein as what you experience while leveling?

    Or would it adopt the epic storyline nature of Guildwars, where you maxed level relatively early (in the latter 2/3 expansions anyway) which was your 'rise to hero' part of the journey, and then fought against huge, world crushing threats as a hero at max.

    Would it perhaps involve quest chains being completed to unlock bosses for raiders, as intrepid explorers accidentally unleash things during their travels?

    Would the quests take on more complexity, and offer multiple paths of completion with differing results more akin to a singleplayer CRPG?

    Because quite honestly, all that sounds extraordinarily fun. But is it still WoW, then?

    How far can we take this?

    Which is why I ultimately answered Running 5-mans at level cap. Despite how much I am absolutely over heroics at the moment, if dungeons were given the same attention as raids, with clear progression paths, more difficult fights that required as much coordination and skill as raid fights do...

    I could see myself quite enjoying those. Possibly more so than the actual raids, with a far tighter knit group.

    In any case! As I said, extremely interesting poll set, can't wait to see how it all turns out, wish had found your blog sooner! <3

    ReplyDelete