Friday, January 28, 2011

Oh dear, Vashj'ir: Redux

I had a lot on my plate when I wrote Wednesday's post due to my claiming that Hyjal was a better zone than Vashj'ir and the fact that two of the currently three comments on that last post disagree with me. Fidjit claimed "Hyjal felt very 'been there, done that' to me," and Neverender agreed with Fidjit and added, "But all in all, I appreciate what Blizzard tried to do and applaud them for making Vash'jir such a beautiful zone to quest in." I appreciate their comments and can see where they are coming from, but one little blurb in Neverender's comment gave me insight into why I dislike Vashj'ir so much: "...I appreciate what Blizzard tried to do..." [emphasis is my own]. If you look at what Blizzard was trying to do with Vashj'ir, it is indeed a very praise-worthy zone, for their aspirations for this zone were clearly very high (why else would they make it so long?). This much I agree with.

The trouble in considering what Blizzard was trying to do with Vashj'ir is that when we quest in Vashj'ir, we are not playing in the zone that Blizzard tried to create; we are playing in the zone they did create. Considering that both Fidjit and Neverender agreed that my complaints about the zone were legitimate, I supposed that whether you think Vashj'ir is a praise-worthy zone ultimately comes down to whether you want to praise Blizzard for their efforts or their results. Which brings us to the question I ask today: in choosing to praise or criticizing Vashj'ir, should we choose to praise or criticize Blizzard for their ambition or for the end product? Should we praise the potential and innovation of a venture, or the actual quality of the venture when it ships?

To look at Vashj'ir again, the zone was most definitely a step away from familiar territory for Blizzard. It was innovative because the entire zone took place underwater, and Blizzard took quite a few risks is designing the zone that way. I find it telling that most of my complaints about Vashj'ir had little to do with the fact that the zone was underwater, because that means that Blizzard averted all of those risks. My complaints about Vashj'ir were that it was too large and its questline too lengthy,that it lacked a grounding location that allowed us to better comprehend our position within the zone, that creating the kind of tension that Vashj'ir was trying to create was simply impossible due to the game's mechanics, and that the ending was underwhelming and abrupt. Every single one of these flaws could just as easily have been made in the process of designing a land-based zone, though the underwater setting does make it more tempting to try to create the kind of mood Blizzard was trying to create with Vashj'ir. So really, Vashj'ir is a case where the innovation and potential of the zone do shine through, and it's its other flaws that bring it down. Thus it is perfectly reasonable to praise the zone for its innovation.

But that doesn't excuse the zone for having these flaws. In fact, it's all the more reason to criticize the zone, because the fact that these flaws could just as easily show up in any zone means that Blizzard should have known better. Blizzard has had years of practice designing zones, and these are flaws that those years of practice should have prevented. But no one is perfect, and the developers are going to make a few mistakes from time to time; they just so happened to make these mistakes while designing their most ambitious zone yet. It's almost a shame that they did manage to avoid the potential flaws that were directly related to that ambition (i.e. the typical pratfalls of most water levels), because those flaws would have been forgivable due to Blizzard's inexperience with designing entirely-underwater levels. But there's no reason that the kind of flaws that did show up in Vashj'ir should be any more excusable just because Vashj'ir was a water level.

So in the end, Vashj'ir deserves both praise for its successful innovation and criticism for its definite flaws. I guess whichever you prefer to focus on comes down to just how much the innovation amazed you (I was less than amazed once all the environments started to blend together) and was thus able to distract you from the zone's flaws, and how influential those flaws were in detracting from your enjoyment of the zone.

3 comments:

  1. Look Ma, I'm in a blog post!

    Another thoughtful post! I hadn't thought of it, but you're right in saying that the zone's biggest flaws aren't really related to the underwater mechanics. It really is kind of odd in that sense. I don't think it needs much changed to be a lot better either.

    1) Give us a better reason why we want to stay down there instead of the impression we're trying to escape.

    2) Completely redo the final battle. Even without the bugs it's not a good experience.

    3) Maybe length? Personally I didn't mind the length, but I can sympathize with people who did. Interestingly, on beta for a while the zone was actually much longer than it is now. They removed an entire lengthy questline in order to shorten the zone.

    Ultimately, I guess I'm the person who liked the innovation and visuals enough to live with the flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With this I am in total agreement.

    Ardol, while you are absolutely correct in your assessment of the flaws of the zone, I noticed but chose to disregard them. The sheer beauty of the area, and the fun of playing a Naga totally overrode the negatives for me.

    The experience in Vashj'ir was the best I have encountered in WoW, only surpassed by Wrathgate and the Battle for the Undercity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm famous across the intercontinental webbertubes too! Yay!

    To echo Fidjit (again), the innovations outshone the flaws for me in Vash'jir. I was interested enough in the storyline to stay in the zone, but that was me meta-gaming. My shaman would have had absolutely zero incentive to stay there, as the Earthen Ring was being pressed hard in Deepholm and required my aid (according to the quest The War Continues). Other than feeling beholden to my fellow shipmates, there was no true reason for us to stay in the zone. Hearth out, move to Deepholm, answer Thrall's personal appeal for aid.

    But for all its flaws, I found myself having a ton of fun in Vash'jir (until the lame duck ending). Hyjal never felt that vibrant for me. I guess, it's birds of a different feather eh? I overlook flaws in one zone, yet concentrate on flaws in another (Hyjal).

    ReplyDelete