Monday, November 23, 2009

World of Warcraft and Philosophy so far

As you may know, I am currently reading World of Warcraft and Philosophy, and though I have not finished it yet (I'm a bit over half-way through), I thought I'd give my impressions of the book thus far. Once I finish, I will write a proper review.

Thus far, World of Warcraft and Philosophy has been a very enjoyable read. Although it starts out a bit disjointed in the first section, it gets its act together as it goes on and gets better. Each chapter examines a different issue in WoW, like ninja looting to the Winterspring funeral massacre, from various philosophical perspectives, including Nihilism and Deontology. Thus, not only will you learn more about WoW (I didn't know about the Gnome Tea Party until after reading the book), but you'll learn more about philosophy too, a fantastic subject. You may not always agree with what the authors of the chapters say, but they lay our their arguments well enough that you can formulate a logical rebuttal if you do disagree.

If you are reading my blog, then you probably play WoW, so you may want to know if the book's chapters contain a lot of detail and explanation about things that aren't obvious to non-players but that we would already know. Thankfully, the book seems to contain just the right amount: enough to explain the concepts discussed without explaining it so much as to bore players who are familiar with the game. The explanations of philosophy also contain a similar amount of exposition, enough to explain the concepts without boring those who already understand them. In this regard, the whole book is, for the most part, very well written.

That's all for now. I won't give this book a rating yet, but I will say that if you enjoy WoW and philosophy, even a little bit, you should pick up this book. Even if you don't enjoy philosophy, maybe this is the book you need to really appreciate it. Either way, I highly recommend you give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment