Friday, November 13, 2009

The case for solo raid instances

Back when I started playing WoW and began to understand what raiding was, I came to grips with the fact that I would never be able raid seriously. I just don't have the time to dedicate to it, and as much as I would love to be able to see the new content that Blizzard puts so much time into making, I probably never will. It's a shame, because the vast majority of Blizzard's development time for patches is spent developing raid content, and yet so many players like me will never be able to see it. Then the idea hit me: what if each raid dungeon had a version where all of the trash and bosses were non-elite, regular level 80-something enemies? That way, players who don't have the time to raid with others could still experience the same content and do so on their own time.

I know many people's knee-jerk reaction to that suggestion will be that it is a bad idea, but maybe the details of my idea will placate them a bit. Let me start by explaining the lore behind my idea. The gnomes and goblins are known for their engineering marvels, so they would make virtual reality machines to match the raid experience, though toned down to make it accessible to single adventurers. Their practical reason for doing so would be to allow the adventurers of the world to be more prepared when they enter a raid instance. However, because these engineers would need to gather information from people who actually enter the raid in order to make their simulations accurate, each solo raid would not become available until some time after the actual raid has been implemented. Perhaps they would have weekly quests that would ask players to finish the actual raid itself and report back with their findings. When enough people have completed these weekly quests, the solo raid would be unlocked.

Because these solo raids would be virtual reality, they would not award any money, gear, or tangible rewards of any kind. Let me reiterate that, since I feel it is one of my most important points: there would be no real reward for running these raids, so people would still be motivated to run actual raids. The solo raids would probably not cause any durability damage to gear either, since the player won't be taking any actual damage. The trash enemies would range from level 79 to 82, depending on how tough they are in the actual raid. The bosses themselves would range from level 81 to 83, with earlier bosses being 81 and later ones being 83, in order to make them suitably challenging for players. Obviously, some boss fights would loose much of their challenge due to the fact that the player is alone, but perhaps the engineers running the simulation would chime in with quips about how being in a raid would affect the boss fight.

I'm sure one of the first objections people will have against this idea is that it would remove one motivating factor that keeps people raiding: seeing the content. If solo raids were implemented in the way I am suggesting then players will still definitely want to run regular raids, for if a player didn't go into actual raids, he'd be forced to see the content later than everyone else (I think a one to two month delay is sufficient), he wouldn't get any gear to show for his efforts, and his only reward would be seeing the lore behind these instances, meaning people probably wouldn't take advantage of them more than once. If players need even more motivation to run actual raids in lieu of running these replications, we could add durability damage to them, meaning the player would actually lose money by running them. Still, I don't think we need to revert to such drastic measures.

Some may also say that they would rather Blizzard spend their time balancing the actual raid content than spend any of it balancing some bootleg solo content, but how long would it really take to balance the solo content? Even if, in their first iteration, the raids were too difficult or just unbalanced, the fact that players are going in on their own means that problems with the fights would become apparent very quickly and fixes could be implemented just as quickly. Because players will be fighting alone, Blizzard will know that any problems players have will not be due to lack of raid synergy or raids not bringing the right combination of classes. If 1v1 arenas were possible, it would bring the state of PvP class balance into sharp focus. Why? Because so few people are involved. Thus, if you only have one person involved in a situation, any balancing issues with the solo raids should be clear as day and easy to fix, thus won't take up much of the developers' time.

Considering how much time Blizzard spends on developing raid content and how much they have been catering to the casuals recently, I find it surprising that they haven't mentioned any ideas like this yet. I hope they do implement something like this, for I am just as eager to see the end of the Lich King storyline when patch 3.3 comes out as everyone else is. If you have any other objections to my idea that I haven't brought up, leave them in the comment section and I'll give you my response.

3 comments:

  1. The fact that it would be a "solo" "raid" contradicts itself. :)

    The thing is, you couldn't experience a raid by yourself. A major problem is ALL boss encounters are created for the sole purpose of having more than one person in the group. For example, yes you might get to kill the Lich King by yourself for no reward, just to experience the content, but what if he can only use 2 of his 10 abilities because they are designed to have other people in the raid. If you think about fights like the very first boss of UK, what happens if he was a raid boss and he froze you in a block of ice that your raid had to break? The same mechanic is used on the last boss of the Arachnid Quarter in Naxx.

    I think Blizzard has done a really good job of making all PvE content accessible this expansion. You could literally gear up to kill the Lich King (in a 10 man raid) solely from 5 man dungeons. Surely you could find one night to raid, even in a PUG.

    If you can't, the other solution currently in the game, is to wait until you out level and out gear the content, then go back and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize that some of the raid mechanics would be lost in the transition to a solo fight. The end of the third paragraph has my solution to that. I know its not much of one, but as I've said, these dungeons wouldn't be made to be interesting.

    You are right that I COULD gear up to kill the Lich King in only five-mans, but farming the emblems for that takes a long time, the kind of time I just don't have. (And I know I'm not the only one) The only better way to gear up for raids is to run them, which, as I have said, I don't have very much time for either.

    As for out-leveling the content, if Blizzard decides to make all of the expansion packs five levels each, that's going to take a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I completely read over that third sentence and missed it somehow. The point I was trying to make is experiencing it wouldn't be AS FUN without all the original mechanics.

    Also, I wasn't trying to insult you saying it is easy to gear up and everyone should have the time. I have VERY little play time and am very undergeared compared to the average WoW player. I was just saying Blizzard has made it to where the new 5 mans they are introducing are going to drop the appropriate level of gear to then go into a raid without having to farm emblems or anything. Just farming the normal loot that is going to drop.

    As for the third point, I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete