Monday, June 21, 2010

New poll for profit and pleasure

In addition to the poll I have had on the side of my blog for some time now, I am adding a new one to hopefully gain a deeper understanding of my readership. I use the original poll to get an idea of what my readership spends most of its time doing, which is fine for when I talk about WoW in the past and the present, but what about the future? Since WoW is an ever-changing game, the way we play now may change as the game changes, and since the game could change in any number of conceivable ways, the percentage of players who play a certain part of the game can change easily. In discussing these kinds of changes, I think it's important to consider not just what the players currently do, but also what they like to do. That's where this poll comes in.

My new poll is going to be very similar to my old poll, and for good reason; I want to get an idea of how the answers to my new question compare to the answers to my old question. My new question is this: If all parts of WoW received equal development time and were equally fleshed out, interesting, and rewarding, what would you spend most of your time doing? Would you stop leveling alts and focus on your main now that the level cap actually had interesting solo content? Would you leave the raiding scene for the less stressful scene of heroics now that they weren't the same stale heroics you are used to? Would you abandon arenas for battlegrounds? What would you do? If you would like to say why your answers on the two polls are the same or are different, please do so in the comments section of this post.

And since I'm sure someone is curious to know, I haven't voted in these polls myself because I want them to provide a snapshot of my readership, and I don't want my votes to sway that snapshot one way or another. However, if you are curious, I'll answer them now: I spend most of time leveling alts when I play WoW, but if all content were equal, I would spend most of my time doing solo content at the level cap on my druid.

4 comments:

  1. Not sure if this counts, but I'm new to your blog and love the take you have on gaming, psychology, and philosophy. You take a lighthearted but deeply intellectual look at our favorite hobby - thanks for tickling my brain into activity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very much welcome, and thank you for your comment and for reading. It's always gratifying to know that people really do enjoy what I write. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I voted raiding for both, even though...
    1. I probably currently spend as much time raiding as I spend on alts.

    2. I can't imagine interesting level cap solo content. I don't see anything that could hold my attention at level cap except for raiding, so I voted for that. Assuming they did create some interesting content (whatever that might mean), I would probably still raid, but spend less time on alts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went other, because I enjoy flying around and gathering and then selling etc. but also because if world pvp was created equal that's likely all I would do, cant beat starting a brawl in unexpected locations and having to adapt to terrain on the fly, largely what i miss with flying mounts and all.

    Also 100% agree with Mashugana, nice blog, keep up the good writing.

    ReplyDelete