Monday, June 7, 2010

How am I conquering the pre-expansion slump?

A shared topic on Blog Azeroth proposed by Jaedia of The Lazy Sniper asks us how we are conquering the pre-expansion slump, a slump I am definitely feeling. Sadly, I started feeling this slump long ago with the disappointment I felt with the Argent Tournament. Having gone through all of the other solo content in Wrath of the Lich King, I put high hopes in the Argent Tournament to revitalize my interest in game, but with the lackadaisical design of the daily quests, I quickly grew bored and resolved to do it only long enough to acquire enough Champion's Seals to get the Argent Pony Bridle and the five pets. Once I had those, I quit the tournament forever, and have not returned. The dungeon finder briefly reignited my interest in the game with the way it made it easy to chain run heroics, but it had the unintended effect of making me burn out even faster, to the point where I realized that there were no heroics that I liked anymore; just those I didn't hate as much as others (and I had something to hate about each one). Thus the things that were probably implemented specifically to keep people like me (non-raiders) interested in the game failed to capture my attention.

So what's a soloist to do? Why, what we soloists have always done; roll an alt! Problem is, with the remake of Azeroth coming soon, there's less motivation to go through the process of leveling a character again, when we can only assume that it will be more fun when the expansion comes out. This is made worse by the fact that all of the content begins to feel a bit stale when you have leveled multiple characters, even though you may be going through it with a new class. As such, we need to find a reason to want to level that character, other than just experiencing that content again. With that said, though, experiencing the content again isn't that bad of a reason to level an alt, since it means that the old content will be fresh in our mind after the Cataclysm happens, allowing us to appreciate the new content that much more.

But if experiencing the content to be able to appreciate the new content isn't reason enough for you to level an alt, then why should you? What has worked for me so far is the goal of having an alt that is a "pet craftsman". I leveled my shaman with the goal of having a pet jewelcrafter, and I leveled my priest with the goal of having a pet alchemist, and those are the only two alts of mine (beside my Death Knight, who had an unfair start) that made it past level 25 (they have both made it past 60 at this point). I know I said in my post reflections on leveling a shadow priest that leveling an alt is more fun with two gathering professions, but if you usually level your alts that way and are looking for a change of pace, perhaps leveling them while also working on a crafting profession is the change of pace you need.

1 comment:

  1. Rolling alts is what i end up doing far too much, and I am trying to refrain until Cata. I also make them quite often for the trade skills. But what ive found to be most fun recently, though it can be a bit mean, is temporarily taking control of the realms AH, by building ludicrous amounts of common or in demand objects and flooding the place with them, which is also getting me filthy rich, so after doing this i end up trying to find something to burn the cash on, and what ends up happening?
    I roll an alt, level its tradeskill, and dont end up spending anything.

    I also agree on the dungeon finder burning you out on heroics, though i feel the lack of new associates or friends from the dungeon finder to be the main drawback to it.

    Anyway im prattling, (should be asleep), nice blog, i for one enjoy reading your numerous walls of text.

    (Also if you dont have an engineer yet, you should make one, mainly for the rocket boots, so much fun. Combine them with brewfest drinks and you can get from tempest keep to hellfire.)

    ReplyDelete