Monday, November 8, 2010

Writing as if we are being read

A friend of mine, with my help and guidance, has recently taken up blogging as an outlet for all of the thoughts he has and as a way to tell tales of all of the crazy things that happen in his life. It has been quite enjoyable to help him in this endeavor, if for no other reason than that he is my friend and I enjoy helping for that reason, but is has also reminded me of something that is quite common to see in new blogs. In my own blog, as well as the few blogs I saw in their very early stages, I found that the authors of fledgling blogs often write as if they already have readers, even if they have no reason to think they do. Now, granted in some of the situations where I saw that happen, the authors in question did have reason to think they had readers: Larisa of the Pink Pigtail Inn commented on my first post saying this sounded like the kind of blog she would be interested in reading, my friend has already told a few of his friends (including me) about his blog, and the other blog I saw in its infancy was one written by someone I know through a forum, many of the members of which had told him they'd be interested in reading his blog. However, this is something I have also seen in blogs I discover by finding a post via google, blogs that don't have any comments save for one or two on later posts, yet the authors still write as if they have readers.

I couldn't help but wonder, why is this the case? Why do/did we fledgling bloggers write as if we already have readerships, even if we don't? It could just be a matter of wishful thinking. After all, anyone who writes down their thoughts in a blog wants what they write to be read, even if they only want it on a subconscious level. If that weren't the case, they'd find a less public outlet for their writing. Maybe, since bloggers want to be read, they write as if they are already being read, as if there are already people who are reading what they write, since they want it to be the case. After all, having a readership isn't just about receiving comments, but it's also about knowing that people are reading what you write. Without something like Google analytics or the stats tab at the top of blogger (which kind of kills the illusion I'm about to talk about), it's easy to imagine that there are people reading your blog when there really aren't, and thus it's easy for bloggers to write as if someone is reading what they are writing.

It could also be a practical choice. If someone happens upon a blog by chance, what's going to make them more likely to stay and read what the author has to say: a post that actually acknowledges the reader's existence, or a post lamenting about how the blog has no readers? As Allison Robert of WoW Insider says, "The one unshakeable rule I've learned about blogging in general is this: people hate whining." A blog author whining about not having readers would be no exception, so it's easy to imagine how a post written as if no one is reading the author's blog could turn off potential readers. This might not matter in the early days of a blog when no one is reading what's being written, but this is also an issue of habit. If someone blogs for long enough, they will usually accrue readers somehow, and its easier to keep those readers if you are in the habit of writing posts that are inviting to those who find your blog, rather than posts telling those readers they don't exist.

But why not take the middle ground? Why not neither acknowledge those imaginary readers nor write as if they don't exist? Well, as you can tell by the way I am writing this post (what with asking questions as introductions to my points and all), that's quite hard to do. Though it may be bad form to acknowledge the existence of a reader in formal writing, in blog writing, the existence of a reader is integral to the writing style. It's hard to pin down exactly what constitutes the general style of blog writing, but if a set of guidelines were written up to describe how blog posts can best be written, they would include acknowledging the reader in the post. Perhaps new authors who write as if they already have audiences have picked up on that fact and are just copying what they have noticed on other blogs when writing in their own blog.

In my own case, I think it was a combination of the first and third possibility that made me write as if I had readers when I very well might not have. For those of you who are bloggers, did you engage in this habit too when you started writing? If so, what motivated you to do so?

5 comments:

  1. My blog isn't exactly a rp blog, but there's a little, little... let's say touch of it, where I slip into the role as a pink pigtailed gnome that runs a pub. The image came to my head after a couple of months of blogging, as I was reflecting over it. What exactly was the nature of blogs, what was it all about? As often I got an image in my head and this time it was a pub. To me a blog was like a place where I could hang out after the "job" ingame was done, reflecting over what I've been up to or philosophizing over the state of the world. And since I decided to use this image as the name of my blog I think it became natural to include the readers in the blog, either they're there or not. I run an inn, and so I speak to the imaginative guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always write as if it is going to be read, whether it's by some large readership, or just by one person. Putting yourself in a reader's shoes is often what improves the clarity and structure of your writing.

    If you write it, and you write it well and the reader feels a connection with you, they will come and they will comment. I don't particularly write to 'get more readers', I write to share my knowledge in a clear way, and to express whatever I'm feeling or thinking about the game.

    If you write for a newspaper there is a certain style that is appropriate, certain basic information you always need to include, if you write a blog with open comments then always write as if someone might be there to read and respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you said, writing as if you have readers is somewhat integral to the blogging style.

    This is especially true in WoW blogs that are attempting to describe the best ways to DO something. I'm not just telling you about something you will probably never have any personal experience with (say, for example, the LHC). I'm trying to give you a virtual one-on-one lesson that you can take in and put to use. How to play a class, lead a group, modify the UI. Things like that.

    Also, WoW by its very nature is a social game. Everything you do in WoW is done, at the very least, in the presence of other people, if not with them. It's a natural extension when moving to a blog about WoW that you treat it that way.

    Lastly, in a more general sense, like you said...if you're blogging, you're probably hoping to have readers at some point. It's better to address them warmly and openly rather than wait for them to come around to welcome them. That and you never know who's going back and reading those old posts well after you've made them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might be worth noting that most blogs maintain archives. Even if there are no readers to start with, some might go back and read older articles. May as well get off on the right foot.

    I started my blog because I thought I was getting a bit oververbose in my comments on other blogs. I figured I'd blather in my own space rather than dominate someone else's.

    Simply, I wrote as if someone would read it, because someone might someday. I think you're right; that's just the nature of a blog. It's a public post of thoughts. Why make it public in the first place if you're not expecting it to be read?

    As to my writing style, I started reflexively writing as if my posts were writing assignments in a class at college. I just naturally fall into that sort of semi-scholarly style when I'm writing nonfiction for public consumption. I've since picked up a few regulars and contrarians, and discussions in the comments tend to be a bit more relaxed, so occasionally I'll slip and have a little fun with posts themselves. Still, I tend to be rather dry and scholarly when I write. Perhaps it's my "teacher-like public speaking face" translated to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blogs I've seen that aren't meant to be read by someone else don't have comments (so the someone elses can't talk back), and I figure the ones I don't see are private.

    Otherwise, if you put your public blogs out there, I assume you're doing it to consciously talk to people out there on the digital nether. Even just rambling on in the presence of a wall is considering talking to a wall, y'know?

    People can't really start a blog nowadays without realizing that other people are going to read it should you make it public (unless you make it private or prefer to compulsively lie). So it's rather definitive, in my opinion, of blogging that you talk as if people were reading it. Otherwise it's more online diary/journal than blog.

    ReplyDelete