Friday, June 25, 2010

Comparing the three WoW's, Part 2: Raiding and Leveling

I have already compared the parallel structures of cooperative PvE and PvP, so today I shall compare the parallel structures of leveling and cooperative PvE and see what conclusions can be drawn from them. If you haven't read part one of this post, please do, for I will be writing with the assumption that you already have, so I don't have to repeat myself.

One thing that makes the two parts of leveling different from the two parts of cooperative PvE and PvP is that there is no objective line between pre-level-cap content and level-cap content. Sure, by the time you reach the Storm Peaks, you'll probably be level 80, or at least very close, so that zone and Icecrown could perhaps be objectively considered level-cap content, but even that is a difficult call to make. After all, you are eligible for all of the quests in Storm Peaks at level 77, and ditto for the vast majority of quests in Icecrown (excluding the Quel'Delar quest chain and a few Argent Tournament quests, exactly three to be exact). And even though you are very likely to be level 80 by the time you enter Icecrown, the fact that nothing in either of those zones requires you to be level 80 means the distinction is blurred, to say the least.

Another interesting point of note is that, aside from the chestpieces awarded by the Icecrown quest Battle at Valhalas: Final Challenge, the best gear you will get from quests that don't require you to enter an instance is ilevel 174 (and the quest above only rewards gear that is ilevel 183). For comparison, gear dropped by the normal version of the original level 80 5-mans (Culling of Stratholme, The Oculus, Halls of Lightning, and Utgarde Pinnacle) is ilevel 187, while the rare-quality gear that drops from the original heroics is ilevel 200. That's 13 ilevels of difference between those three areas of the game, a steady increase. Thus we can see these three areas of the game as pre-raiding tiers, with out-of-instance quests being tier 1, normal mode 5-mans being tier 2, and heroics being tier 3.

Of course, with the inclusion of craftable epic gear and reputation rewards, it is possible to skip normal mode dungeons, and even heroics if you know what you were doing, and go right into Naxxramas. I suppose those craftable epics and reputation rewards could be seen as similar to the current system by which heroics drop the second best emblem in the game, while the daily heroic awards the first; they allow you to skip to the interesting stuff, the stuff that everyone else is doing, without needing to go through old content to get there. They allow you to get to the cutting edge without people needing to drag you through old content to gear you up.

But wait! This is the start of the expansion pack that we are talking about. This is when nothing was "old content", not the normals, the heroics, nor the raids. And yet, these measures (craftable epics and reputation rewards) were put in place from the beginning to allow people to skip normal modes and go right into heroics or into raids, just like how the current emblem system allows people to skip all of the previous tiers of raiding and go right into the most current tier of content. Something isn't right here; similar measures were implemented in both cases, yet the circumstances that necessitated them in the second case didn't exist in the first case. What I mean by that is that the new emblem system was implemented so that people could enter the raiding scene if they got in a bit late and missed the chance to gear up while everyone else was running the lower-tier content, but craftable epics and reputation rewards allowed people to skip new content that everyone would have been running if Blizzard hadn't implemented those epics or those reputation rewards. What gives?

I suppose one explanation is that Blizzard didn't want to force people to run 5-mans if they really didn't want to, but even this explanation is difficult to accept. After all, the amount of time it would take to fully gear a character up for Naxxramas without entering any 5-mans would probably be similar to the amount of time it would take to gear up that character using normal modes and eventually heroic modes. The only difference is that the player could move at their own pace and play at their own convenience while using the former method, while gearing up in five mans would force the player to play not only for themselves but also for those they group up with, and they wouldn't be able to just drop out whenever they feel like it, like they could when they are out solo-ing. But the thing is, those differences are also exactly what differentiate raiding from solo-ing, and those differences only get more pronounced in the raiding scene. 5-mans are like a mini preparation for the demands of raiding, so to want to skip them to get into raiding is like skipping learning how to walk because you want to start running. As such, a player who would chose to gear up for Naxx through solo ventures rather than 5-mans would likely be doing so for reasons that would show that he, as a player, isn't ready for raiding, no matter how good his gear may be.

So who were these craftable epics and reputation reward made for? It looks like they were made for the mysterious brand of player that enjoys solo-ing more than 5-mans but still ultimately enjoys raiding more than either. Or perhaps they were made for those players who have the necessary grouping skills to raid and want to get into raids without bothering with that 5-man nonsense. This is certainly a feasible possibility, but heroics in those days weren't like heroics now. In the days before the Dungeon Finder, it was common for guild members to run heroics together for gear and badges, which would negate the one aspect of heroics that could make them less enjoyable than raids: the fact that they were usually PUG'ed. I suppose these craftable epics and reputation rewards could also provide a source of back-up gear, like that provided by emblems, gear that you could use to gear up if the RNG gods decided to deny you a certain drop over and over again.

But could these craftable epics and reputation rewards also have been made for us, the soloists? We players may say that gear is just a nice consolation prize for the grander experience of playing the game, and we may look down upon those who openly admit to playing for the gear, but gear is still an important factor in all parts of this game. As I have said before, gear doesn't only serve as a gatekeeper to keep us from steamrolling through content; it also serves as a representation of our achievements, of the effort we put in to obtain that gear. Crafted gear represents the time we put in to farm the mats and/or earn the money to buy them off of the auction house, while reputation gear represents the time we put in to reach exalted with the faction that rewards it. So is this gear for us?

Honestly, I doubt it. Crafted gear and reputation rewards were integral to entering heroics and raiding back when Wrath first came out, meaning that obtaining them was simply another step on the path to raiding. After all, raiders had to obtain this gear first, then move on to raiding to obtain better gear, so I really couldn't see Blizzard putting this gear in the game to give us soloists something to work for. To say that those rewards were put in for soloists would be like saying that the first few levels in a single-player game were put in for the people who aren't skilled enough to beat the latter levels. It doesn't work that way; those first few levels (and the craftable epics and reputation rewards) are the stepping stones through which a player moves on to more difficult and more rewarding content, not something put in to stand on its own.

It's the fact that this gear serves as a stepping stone into cooperative PvE that convinces me that Blizzard didn't want Wrath's solo content to be viable, to be able to stand on its own as a unique part of the game; they only want it to facilitate players' entry into raids. Astute readers will notice that I have come to this conclusion before through very similar reasoning, but hey, at least I'm consistent, right? In the previously linked post, I concluded that in the same way PvP (and the entire game, really) was balanced around class performance in arenas, PvE has been balanced around raiding to make getting into raids easier. This fact, coupled with everything I have said up to now, leads me to only one conclusion: the three WoW's aren't solo-ing, cooperative PvE, and PvP, with content done before the level cap and content done at the level cap, heroics and raiding, and battlegrounds and arenas as their respective sub-areas. The three WoW's are, instead, leveling, level-cap PvE, and PvP, with level-cap PvE split into three areas: soloing, heroics, and raids.

So what does this mean in the grand scheme of things? It means I can take the conclusion of my previously linked post a step further: WoW's level-cap solo content isn't just a stepping stone into cooperative PvE content; it exists only to facilitate the transition from leveling to heroics and raiding. Wrath's solo content was, quite simply, not designed to be viable, to stand on its own, which explains all of the points I brought up in On the homogenization of Wrath of the Lich King solo content. And yes, I think that the lack of viability of WoW's solo content is a bad thing. So I wait for Cataclysm with bated breath, to see if the game will go further in this direction, or if it will reverse it. Only time will tell.

4 comments:

  1. I skimmed, so just a couple of random ideas...
    "But could these craftable epics and reputation rewards also have been made for us, the soloists?" - Seriously doubt it. After all, what would be the use? Solo faster? Solo faster to accomplish... what? (Legitimate curiosity btw, I'm a raider and I honestly don't understand what solo players could do at 80. Which is part of the problem you're addressing I suppose...)

    "Blizzard didn't want Wrath's solo content to be viable, to be able to stand on its own as a unique part of the game; they only want it to facilitate players' entry into raids." This can be misread, I think... but I can't explain it very clearly :D I would say that Blizzard didn't care very much about the solo content, but it wasn't a conscious decision to make it nonviable for soloist. The first time I read the paragraph I took it to mean "Blizzard has a problem with us and what's why they didn't create content".

    However... I'm sure you've heard this many times. WoW is an MMO, so why would you want to play solo? There are many other games for that. I understand Blizzard - they are creating this game for their target audience, people that want a, well, a MMO. It wouldn't be economically sound to spend much more effort and money to make a small part of the population happy, so they won't do it.

    [P.S. For a bit of perspective of where I'm coming from: I leveled my first char almost alone, but all the others have spent more time in dungeons than outside; I never continue questing after I hit 80; achievements like Loremaster and Explorer feel to me like a waste of time; at this point in the expansion, heroics are only useful as a stepping stone for raids.]

    [P.P.S. I just noticed your e-mail address. Are you the person using that nickname on WoW.com?]

    ReplyDelete
  2. ""But could these craftable epics and reputation rewards also have been made for us, the soloists?" - Seriously doubt it."

    That's exactly the point I make in the third to last paragraph.

    "After all, what would be the use? Solo faster? Solo faster to accomplish... what? (Legitimate curiosity btw, I'm a raider and I honestly don't understand what solo players could do at 80. Which is part of the problem you're addressing I suppose...)"

    In Northrend, the only thing there really is for us to do is dailies; farming things isn't a viable way of making money anymore, and everything else that's worth doing is done through dailies. I also spend a fair amount of time fishing, which I find quite relaxing and enjoyable, and sometimes I farm stuff just because there's so little farming in this expansion pack that I have become nostalgic for it.

    "However... I'm sure you've heard this many times. WoW is an MMO, so why would you want to play solo? There are many other games for that."

    I've heard the "there are other games if you want to play solo" argument countless times, yet I stay with WoW simply because it is an excellent game. The solo content is, quite simply, fun, and I haven't found many solo RPGs that I have enjoyed as much as I enjoy WoW. The few I have found, I've played so much that I don't enjoy replaying them.

    "I understand Blizzard - they are creating this game for their target audience, people that want a, well, a MMO. It wouldn't be economically sound to spend much more effort and money to make a small part of the population happy, so they won't do it."

    While I agree with you in principle, the fact is that a full 25% of my readers spend most of their time leveling alts. Now, I know the poll option doesn't differentiate between people who level their alts by quests and people who level their alts by dungeons, I can't help but wonder how many of those people would spend more of their time doing solo content at the level cap if that solo content existed (which is why I made that second poll, but with only 18 votes, we can't draw any conclusions from it yet). That small part may not be as small as you think.

    "[P.P.S. I just noticed your e-mail address. Are you the person using that nickname on WoW.com?]"

    Yes, I am; my avatar is the Cat Form icon. I started commenting on WoW.com before I started using my main character's name as my username for all WoW related things I do on the internet, which is why I don't use Ardol as my WoW.com username.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my second most time consuming activity is leveling alts... and I love it, but I level them FOR raiding. Oh, of course I won't actively raid on all of them (and in some cases I realized that I simply don't like that class at level 80), but that's the final goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The main reason for crafted items and reputation rewards is to complensate for the randomness of drops in the situation of limited lockouts.

    You could run heroic Culling of Stratholme once a day and had 1 chanse a day for purple tank shield. What if it doesn't drop for a week? A month?

    You just go to blacksmith and craft titansteel bulwark.

    ReplyDelete